Women and brewing tools

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just replying to a thread about keg posts, and I mentioned that since I have three different types and sizes of posts, along with a 12-point star on some, I have a nice deep socket set.

Brewing has also helped me acquire other tools that many women may not have.

I have two sets of feeler gauges (gotta check the gap in my mill), a dremel (had to cut the cooler lid), a cordless drill (mill), a newer corded drill, hole saw(s), the said socket set, a couple of propane torches (sweating copper), regulator wrenches, and all sorts of parts for ball valves, plumbing for the brewstand, diptubes, and then misc parts leftover from the electrical panel build. I can easily put my hands on teflon tape, high psi tubing, regulator rebuild parts, various lubricants, and miscellaneous hacksaws and other hand tools that I've needed over the years.

I have never worked on a car or done carpentry in my entire life.

The irritating thing is that my husband sometimes can't find something, or has a little project and he'll come to me and say, "You don't happen to have a 7/8" deep socket do you?" or "Do you have any allen wrenches in different sizes?" or "Do you have any food-safe lube for a meat grinder?" and usually can loan him what he's looking for. :D

I was just replying to a thread about keg posts, and I mentioned that since I have three different types and sizes of posts, along with a 12-point star on some, I have a nice deep socket set.
I have two sets of feeler gauges (gotta check the gap in my mill), a dremel (had to cut the cooler lid), a cordless drill (mill), a newer corded drill, hole saw(s), the said socket set, a couple of propane torches (sweating copper), regulator wrenches, and all sorts of parts for ball valves, plumbing for the brewstand, diptubes, and then misc parts leftover from the electrical panel build. I can easily put my hands on teflon tape, high psi tubing, regulator rebuild parts, various lubricants, and miscellaneous hacksaws and other hand tools that I've needed over the years.

I'll take "Things that Yooper says that oddly gets me aroused" for $1000 Alex. ;)

Actually, it is not terribly uncommon for women to have good tools. I have proof.

IMG_0246.JPG

yep, I look just like that when I'm pulling out a drill to crush grain.

Get trapped under a homemade "pizza oven" after it collapsed?

Only if you touch the clamp that is in the front. It's very rusty now, but it's an integral part of the structure.

I would love to get my wife her own tools. Its not uncommon that she does garden planting while I'm at work and I come home to find my largest straight screwdriver covered in dirt. Used it as a planting/digging trowel. (face palm)

All the tools we have are technically mine (yes even "that" one on occasion). I do however forget to put them away sometimes, so when the man gets a wild hair and wants to fix/build something, I get grief over "our" tools not being where they should be. I do all the car maintenance as well as the brewing so that's why they are "mine". Community property my a**.

My wife's idea of a tool is her cell phone and AAA number. I really wish she had interest in owning/using tools.

The fact that my wife can't even check her oil, let alone put on a spare tire, is a point of contention. I argue that she should know these basic tasks just in case she's out of cell phone range. She argues that, well, actually, I'm not sure what her argument on this actually is. I am clearly right... Yet she is remains intentionally ignorant to this. Hmmm...

Oh yeah, last year when I decided to keg homebrew for a party I needed a deep socket for the posts and decided to get the half inch drive to go with it. Funny thing is, if hubby needs a tool for something I usually need to point him in the right direction. He has many great talents, and interests, but using much more than a screwdriver or a plier once in a while is about as mechanical as he gets... Gotta run and build a hop trellis. :)

I love my woman..she is tool/equipment oblivious, beer brewing or otherwise..I can buy as many as I want and she does not even notice them. So by default she can use or claim ownership to anyone of them. Ill just go buy another...:D

This has been in the yard for a week..she hasn't even noticed it yet. But when she does I bet she claims it for horse poop duty. We will have to share I cant afford to buy another.

Skid Steer.jpg

Back