Women and beer judging don' t mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit it, I laughed, expecially at this part:

But asking the female of the species to discern the subtle difference between beer, especially Irish beer, is the nearest thing to a sin you can do with your cloths on.

no one tell my SWMBO *ducks*

The best part is the signature of the person who wrote it:

James Bradley Robinson III, (founder of the Des Moines Sexist Pig Irish Beer Swilling Club)

Actually my wife would be a better judge than me. She has an excellent tongue (ask me how I know) and can pick up on flavors that I would miss. Now as far as driving thats another story...

According to Randy Mosher women are thought in the brewing industry to have a more sensitive palate. Because of this, he says, there are more female professional beer tasters than men.

(I like the author's signature too. :) )

My wife is not included in this subset of women. She has an iron palate when it comes to beer, wine and coffee. And she would be the first to admit it.

You know, I'm all for jokes and satire and what not, but that was not even funny. It is nothing more than a string of cliches and old stereotypes about women, men, beer, and beer drinkers. I am not offended about the remarks against women any more than I would be offended by a monkey throwing his own poop. However, I am offended at the virtual lack of anything intelligent in what is supposed to be a "thought-provoking letter." The only thoughts I had were what I mention in this post, along with "time to close this page and never visit this site again."

Not that it makes much difference in this context, but I have judged beer with some women who are excellent judges. Mosher and I also have discussed what dontman mentioned about women's palates.

Okay, the signature did make me crack half a smile, but that's it. :)

TL

"Especially Irish beer".....WTF? He gave away more than his sexism with that part alone. That guy should not be allowed near a keyboard.

Back