Wlp840 strong diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
Brewing my first lager. Made with 2 row, 6 row, and flaked rice. Pitched at 58 degrees and kept it as stable as I could temperature wise as my controller hasn't came in yet. I took it out my fridge today to do a D-rest because that's what I'm "supposed" to do. I tasted my hydrometer sample and it had a very strong buttery popcorn taste. Anybody else getting this with 840? Hoping it clears up.

That's why you do a D-rest. Just warm it up to the mid 60s for a few days and you should be good. Once you're at FG, ramp it down to the mid 30s for a month or two and you're done.

Well I just didn't think it would be so obvious but hopefully it clears up. Got it at 68 degrees now. Doing a quick lager here. Probably lager for 2 weeks before drinking.

Some yeasts produce more diacetyl than others. But with a D-rest it will disappear. Just be sure the buttery taste is gone before you lager.

I understand you don't have temp control yet, but 58 F is pretty high for most lager strains, and in particular this lager strain has an optimum fermentation temperature of 50-55 F (from White Labs website). I think a lower fermentation temperature will also reduce unwanted fermentation byproducts (like diacetyl).

Back