WLP838 Discussion (and some WLP833 comparison)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
When it comes to lager yeast I'm a pretty dedicated WLP833 fan, but, I enjoy trying new lager yeasts from time to time. I've really enjoyed Imperial L17 Harvest in some beers (especially because once you try it for yourself you can then taste how prolific it is among commercial American craft lagers), but thought I'd give WLP838 a shot since I see it mentioned somewhat frequently in recipes.

I brewed a Helles-type lager with Barke Pils and Vienna and split the batch between WLP833 and WLP838. Pitching rate was 2 billion cells per liter per degree plato. Pitching temperature was in the range of 42F, 90 seconds of O2 at 1 L/min, and temperature was held in the high 40’s for the first 7 days, at which point it was allowed to rise no higher than 60F to “clean up”, and then was kegged in a fully purged corny (i.e. pushed star-san solution out of the keg with CO2). The WLP833 portion turned out killer – aromatic, round, and clean with a beguiling balance between malt and hops. The WLP838 portion turned out really interesting – distinctly winey, but tasty. It is now 5 weeks since brewday.

I am looking for others’ impressions on young WLP838 beers, and more specifically I am looking for experiences from anybody that is a major WLP838 fan. Right now, while interesting enough to drink, this does not taste like what I think of as Bavarian lager beer. But then again, I have treated this beer very much like an American: I have not cold-lagered this beer, it’s only been sitting at 38F for a few weeks. I have not fined the beer in any way. The LoDo crowd wouldn’t wash their dishes with this wort. I am aware that it is very early to try to judge a lager, but for other lager yeast such as WLP833 by this point I am practically dreaming of the beer, and right now I basically only taste the WLP838 beer as a curiosity!

So, WLP838 fans: is this winey-ness what you are looking for in your beers? Does it clean up into a softer profile? Was my fermentation just flawed? How do you conduct your fermentations with WLP838 to get the best results?

n8Ahbua

Attachments

• 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200321181502295_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200321181502295_COVER.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
http://brulosophy.com/2017/07/27/ye...38-southern-german-lager-exbeeriment-results/

When it comes to lager yeast I'm a pretty dedicated WLP833 fan, but, I enjoy trying new lager yeasts from time to time. I've really enjoyed Imperial L17 Harvest in some beers (especially because once you try it for yourself you can then taste how prolific it is among commercial American craft lagers), but thought I'd give WLP838 a shot since I see it mentioned somewhat frequently in recipes.

I brewed a Helles-type lager with Barke Pils and Vienna and split the batch between WLP833 and WLP838. Pitching rate was 2 billion cells per liter per degree plato. Pitching temperature was in the range of 42F, 90 seconds of O2 at 1 L/min, and temperature was held in the high 40’s for the first 7 days, at which point it was allowed to rise no higher than 60F to “clean up”, and then was kegged in a fully purged corny (i.e. pushed star-san solution out of the keg with CO2). The WLP833 portion turned out killer – aromatic, round, and clean with a beguiling balance between malt and hops. The WLP838 portion turned out really interesting – distinctly winey, but tasty. It is now 5 weeks since brewday.

I am looking for others’ impressions on young WLP838 beers, and more specifically I am looking for experiences from anybody that is a major WLP838 fan. Right now, while interesting enough to drink, this does not taste like what I think of as Bavarian lager beer. But then again, I have treated this beer very much like an American: I have not cold-lagered this beer, it’s only been sitting at 38F for a few weeks. I have not fined the beer in any way. The LoDo crowd wouldn’t wash their dishes with this wort. I am aware that it is very early to try to judge a lager, but for other lager yeast such as WLP833 by this point I am practically dreaming of the beer, and right now I basically only taste the WLP838 beer as a curiosity!

So, WLP838 fans: is this winey-ness what you are looking for in your beers? Does it clean up into a softer profile? Was my fermentation just flawed? How do you conduct your fermentations with WLP838 to get the best results?

n8Ahbua

My only experience with 838 was a Marzen that I lagered for like 3 months, so I can't give you an answer other than to say you have me interested in WLP833 now!

Following -- excellent post -- as I haven't used either one yet, but been meaning to. I know I've tasted beers from other homebrewers in my club with both of these, and thought both were fantastic. In particular I loved WLP833, I think it might be my favorite lager character of any I've tasted, ever. And I'm a lager nerd. But have yet to try these yeasts on my own yet. I can't recall specifics of how WLP838 compared.

Personally I've been using a lot of S-189 and Diamond with great results from both. Currently I think Diamond has the edge over S-189. And both are superior to W-34/70. But, I digress. ;)

Thanks for the discussion. I went to the LHBS planning on buying some 34/70. They were out, and so I picked up some liquid 838 as an alternative. Will brew today, and am interested to see how it works.

I (finally!) brewed a lager with WLP833 about 6 months ago, just popped the last bottle last week... and holy man is that ever tasty. I do think WLP833 is the best lager yeast I have ever tried. Still have a few more to test, and eventually will... including WLP838 eventually.

I (finally!) brewed a lager with WLP833 about 6 months ago, just popped the last bottle last week... and holy man is that ever tasty. I do think WLP833 is the best lager yeast I have ever tried. Still have a few more to test, and eventually will... including WLP838 eventually.
Interesting. I never tried WLP833 except I just pitched it in a Bock that's bubbling now. My go to has been WY2308 Munich Lager, but after some testing I've moved more toward W34/70, primarily for its dependability and drier finish. I have the Bock split between WLP833 and W34/70, so we'll see the difference between the two.

Back