WLP810 San Fran Lager diacetyl rest..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I have a couple questions regarding diacetyl rest..
I'm fermenting an Oktoberfest Lager with WLP810 San Fran Lager. I've read a thread on here about when I should do this. I'm going to start it when my gravity is halfway to terminal gravity. I'm fermenting at 55F right now.

1) What is the best temp to do diacetyl rest at?
2) I'll do the "butter-taste" test, but any recommendations on how long to rest?
3) After diacetyl rest is over, should I be at terminal gravity at that point?
4) If I'm not at terminal gravity at that point should I drop it back down to 55F and wait before I rack to secondary for lagering until I reach terminal gravity, or will it reach terminal in the secondary?

55-60 degrees for 24-48 hrs for the diacetyl rest. if it's at your final gravity you can the drop it down to lagering temps. i would skip the secondary and just leave the beer on the yeast right up until bottling.

I'm using the high temp San Francisco Lager yeast. It's at 55F now. So, when I do the rest will 60F be high enough? Or should I push it to the maximum temp limit of this yeast which is 65F? I'll be lagering at the minimum temp for this yeast at 50F.. Also, I need my primary for another new batch, so I have to secondary. I'll wait untill I hit final gravity to rack over and drop down to 50F...

60 is good. taste the beer and see if you even have any diacetyl, it's not automatically there.

I should add... the recipe suggested starting the fermentation at about 65 for the first 2 to 3 days. I did it for about 2.5 days then dropped to 55 little by little for 2.5 days... Will this make a difference in how I "rest"?

I should add... the recipe suggested starting the fermentation at about 65 for the first 2 to 3 days. I did it for about 2.5 days then dropped to 55 little by little for 2.5 days... Will this make a difference in how I "rest"?

no.

Back