WLP810 for other lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
My 1st California Common is just coming around and man is it tasty. Still a little rough, but it definitely has that clean lager finish as if certain tastebuds are being numbed somehow.

Anyway, it got me wondering if I could use this strain (wlp810) for other lagers so that I could have more leeway temp-wise. I'd like to do a Marzen next month, and it would be great to be able to use a yeast that was so easy to deal with. I'm just wondering how unique that taste is to steam beer...it would be a helluva shortcut.

Note-I'd still plan to cold condition after bottling/carbing...it would be nice to not have to lager a whole carboy for months. The beer fridge is only so big!

You could definitely use the yeast for psuedo lagers. I think it works better with the malty lagers like bock and o-fest/marzen, I would not use it for a German pils because it's a dry beer and the yeast will not attenuate far enough. As long as you ferment cool and cold condition you will have a great marzen.

Back