WLP644 Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty0018

Reaction score
First time I've attempted a sour beer. I have brewed a 1080 OG saison-style beer. Low IBU using White Labs Belgian Saison I for primary. Once the beer completes fermentation, I'm going to split the 5 gal batch and inoculate one 2.5 gal batch with WLP644. I do not have much beer to start with and no easy way of taking small tasting samples during the aging.

How long should I wait before even attempting a tasting and would the best guess be 1 to 1.5 years before bottling?

Thank you for your help!
JD

I mean, someone smarter will have a better answer, but a saison yeast is going to attenuate really well and won't leave much left for the Brett to get at. When I've secondaried with Brett I usually try to use a lower attenuating yeast in primary to allow more opportunity for Brett character to come out. As far as timing, depends on your taste and how long you want to wait. A couple of months is reasonable to start I think

If you are looking for sour 644 won't do it. 644 is great it will attenuate like crazy and produce some Brett like flavors, some tropical notes, and sometimes a bit of Tartness. To Sour you will need to add your standard Bugs (lacto, pedio).

Well 644 won't sour, nor is it brett. I think it's probably unlikely to find anything after the saison yeast has done its job. Others may have experience of it, but I'd maybe just bottle the saison once it's done and save the 644 for an IPA. I've got one nearly done after a month with Galaxy hops.

I'd keep it warm if I were you. Mine slowed right down at about 1.025 and I had to buy a heat belt and inkbird. It's been at 26ºC for the past fortnight and it's down to 1.011, from 1.069 so I reckon it's nearly done. I'll probably bottle it tomorrow if the gravity hasn't come down further (I mashed pretty high, because I heard it's not great without a bit of sweetness).

Thank you everyone for saving me from wasting 644! I should have researched more it seems.

Back