WLP644 finished at 1.007; added Brett + 3711 at bottling. Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I just bottled a "saison" I brewed with WLP644 and aged for three weeks on a ton of whole kumquats. It finished at 1.007 after the fruit (oddly, I was getting lower readings before fruiting). Anyway, it's phenomenal.

Last year I brewed another saison (with 3711) that finished around 1.001. I added Brett at bottling to half of that batch, and those bottles came out great.

When I bottled the kumquat saison, I added dregs from one of last year's saison bottles to three of the bombers. I aimed for 2.8 vols with the priming sugar.

I'm worrying now that those bombers might just become bombs, thanks to the Brett, 3711, and 1.007 FG. My plan right now is just to wrap 'em in towels and put them in a box in the garage and let 'er ride for a few months, so at least if they blow up, it'll be contained.

Any thoughts?

I think that one plato of gravity is where you typically would begin to pressurize for conditioning if you aren't priming, so this should be ok (maybe a volumne high on carb) if you bottled in heavy duty bottles. I would still take the precautions though.

Did you prime this batch?

I did, yeah. Lately I've been adding sugar directly to bottles in prescribed amounts. Like I said, I primed these to ~2.8 vols. They're not super heavy duty bottles, just regular bombers, but I've done up to 3.2 in them before without issue.

I suppose I could just crack the bottles to vent the CO2 after a couple weeks and then recap 'em.

I suppose I could just crack the bottles to vent the CO2 after a couple weeks and then recap 'em.

I have done that. The good news is that saison is supposed to be carbed high. If you are just using base bottles, I would bleed it a little bit early on in the conditioning cycle to be safe.

Back