Wlp644 brettanomyces bruxellensis trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
Purchased a vile a few wwwks ago. Was manufactured on February 20th. Made a s 2000 ml starter 3 days ago. Airlock on starter only bubbled on second day for only 12 hours. Small signs of increased yeast reproduction with small creamy white puddle on bottom of flask.

My research on this strain has lead me to believe that this stain will take 5-7 days to build up with a starter and that 2 weeks on the stir plate is preferred. I also read that the more the strain is stressed the more desired off flavors will come out.

I am planing on using this strain for an IPA that will use Falconer's Flight and Citra hops. I want a bag of liquid tropical Skittles as an IPA. (Don't judge me)

I wanted to do a started to split one half for saving, the other for pitching.

Time is not a factor since I am in no rush. I am going to be using new techniques for this entire batch:

I have only extract brewed 5 gallon batches; this will be my first All Grain 2.5 gallon batch as a BIAB.
I have never made a starter exclusively for dividing half for pitching, half for saving.
I have never used this strain of yeast.

I have made things difficult for myself but only the unknown yeast strain variable is my concern. I figure dividing a starter in half won't be a problem as long as I continue to use my highly successful sanitation techniques, and the first All Grain variable shouldn't be too problematic if I fall short of my desired OG, I figure I could always add some DME at the last 10 minutes to boost it.

Yeast however has shown me in my experience to be the single most important variable that can turn great wort into undrinkable swill.

I have learned to take more care in the yeast process of beer making trying not to stress it too much to cause the unwanted off flavors. With this new strain, I have researched and read a few things, but I find myself still uncertain as to what to expect.

I hope there are many brewers on this forum that could help me understand what I want to produce and how to go about it.

Also, please feel free to contradict me or correct me. I ha e very limited knowledge for what I am planing for this strain and NO experience with all grain or BIAB.

I use it like an ale yeast. Just make sure you hit final gravity, I've had some gushers when I rushed from grain to glass. Underpitching with this yeast isn't the worst thing either, the esters are generally positive.

I use it like an ale yeast. Just make sure you hit final gravity, I've had some gushers when I rushed from grain to glass. Underpitching with this yeast isn't the worst thing either, the esters are generally positive.

I've seen some pretty low FG's from this yeast. (Below 1.010). I also assume it would take 7-14 or more days to fully ferment due to the amount of time for the starter to fully reproduce.

The underpitching was my biggest question. I want a lot of the off flavors so should I underpitch and also keep the temps on the higher end (68-74° F?), or one over the other?

Like I had heard about this yeast and was able to aquire it for the specific purpose of getting those Mango, and Pineapple esters.

I'll let you into a little secret ......... it is an ale yeast! And I'm not playing on words; it has been discovered to be a sacc strain, and not Brett.

I'll let you into a little secret ......... it is an ale yeast! And I'm not playing on words; it has been discovered to be a sacc strain, and not Brett.

Who cares? It's still a really unique strain of yeast that people get great results with. Certainly, it illustrates that sacch can do a lot more than most would have expected.

Best of luck @NYShooterGuy, and I hope it turns out well for you.

Who cares?

Best of luck @NYShooterGuy, and I hope it turns out well for you.

I care, and you should too. Adding a sacc strain after primary ferm has ended will do nothing. Also brett should be treated differently than sacc with regards to pitch rates, aerobic/anaerobic environments, time allowed for fermentation, temp, ect.

OP, just treat it like any ale yeast, and read the aforementioned thread.

I just did a wheat where I used this yeast and I am extremely impressed with it. In fact I am brewing a tropical IPA with it this weekend.

For the wheat I made a starter a few days before I brewed (no stir plate) and it took the wheat from 1.050 to 1.010 in about 4 weeks. Fermentation was not very active however I keep the temp cool at 65˚.

Back