Wlp585 sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesauer

Reaction score
Quick question. I've noticed some sulfur character in all saison I've brewed and wits for that matter. However I used wlp 585 for the first time on this one and fermentation is all but over, maybe some cleaning up, at the 2 week mark. Still smells of sulfur. Normal for this strain? Will it fade? I pitched at 72 and ramped up a degree at a time over a week and a half then held at 83 to finish. Thanks.

You should of started around 62-65 degrees and held that for a few days then ramp up to the 85 range at 2 or so degrees a day. I think maybe you started to hot and got some off flavors. I could be wrong though.

Quick question. I've noticed some sulfur character in all saison I've brewed and wits for that matter. However I used wlp 585 for the first time on this one and fermentation is all but over, maybe some cleaning up, at the 2 week mark. Still smells of sulfur. Normal for this strain? Will it fade? I pitched at 72 and ramped up a degree at a time over a week and a half then held at 83 to finish. Thanks.

Are you pitching enough healthy yeast and do you have a vigourous ferment? Also depending on your water profile you may need some extra salts to keep your yeast healthy and strong during fermentation, i would recommend a yeast nutrient when making your starters and a tsp at ten minutes left in your boil, if you aren't already doing so. Wlp585 is my favourite saison yeast, I haven't noticed sulphur in any of my beers with that strain. I pitch at 23C and ramp to 28 over 5 days, always let this strain sit for 3 weeks before I keg. Give it another week and see if it cleans up.

I pitched 2 vials into 1.053 wort. Didn't have time for starter. Fermentation was vigorous. I'm hoping you're correct with thinking another week will allow it to clean up. That's kind of what I'm thinking. It doesn't taste sulfury. Just smells of it. Regarding the water, I have a well and don't adjust it, except for adding phosphoric acid to the sparge water to bring ph below 6 to avoid tannin extraction. Maybe it's time to get a test done and see what I'm dealing with and make the needed adjustments...

I typically leave sulfur-smelling ferments (WLP0400) for a minimum of three weeks in primary. It goes away.

Although I haven't used that strain, I did use a German kolsch yeast (WLP029) fermented in the low 60s (61-63) that gave off sulfur during the first 4 days of fermentation. After a week, after I had increased the temp to 65-67, it was faint but still there.

I turned up the temp to 68-70 for the last week and the sulfur had completely faded. Reading on the forums it's stated that releasing some of the co2 in the beer as it warms up also carries some sulfur compounds with it which can easily oxidize away - this appears to be true.

After a month of lagering, there was not even a faint trace of sulfur.

Brew on!

Back