WLP565 in a Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breckenridge

Lurker
Reaction score
Has anybody tried this? Thoughts? Saw it as a recommended use on the White Labs site, and was surprised. Would like to hear from folks with first-hand experience - none of the reviews on WL's site mentioned that use.

I've used 565 a few times, and the last one I used it on was a high gravity saison (8%) that included some crystal malt (which I've stopped putting in saisons for perhaps obvious reasons). I kept the temp around 70F for four weeks primary and bottled at like 1.010 (I think) which was as far as it ever went (bottles have been the same carb level for 4 months or so). What I got out of it was something that tasted an awful lot like an abbey ale. None of the "Dupont" characteristics that come from a 100% Pilsner/low final gravity/perhaps hotter fermentation. Lots of malty sweetness and a very subtle complex fruity yeast character that I think would work well in a dubbel, sort of reminds me of Chimay. So I'd say ferment it fairly cool, perhaps mash it medium/hot. It'd work pretty well.

Good to know, thanks. Thinking when I do it, I'll brew a 10G batch and split 5 w/ 565, 5 w/ either 530 or 550.

Sounds great. When I do my Golden Strong in a month or so I'm still debating between 530 or 570.

any updates?

I fermented a Dubbel with Wyeast 3711 (which is likely WLp590) and it produced a fantastic Dubbel.

Guess im back here again. I spilt a 1.060 dubbel with 3711 and wlp565. The 565 has a nice cherry taste. It had some hot alcohol but is slowly fading. The 3711 has a killer aroma, but the taste is muddled by yeast. When it flocs out I think it will be great.

One of my favorite dubbels ever was made with wlp 570. I found the irony of making a dubbel with "golden" ale yeast too good to pass up. And the keg was empty fast.

Back