Wlp550 Belgian golden strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

beerRush

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use yeasts wlp550 for Belgian golden strong ale ? Anyone tried that , if yes what are the results ?

I'm planning a duvel clone - they recommend those yeasts: wlp570

Climb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
WLP570 is low flocculating. I made a Belgian Golden Strong with it and it never cleared, even after two months. I don’t use clarifiers other than whirlfloc. It tasted wonderful. I want to repeat that recipe with WLP550.

hamachi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use yeasts wlp550 for Belgian golden strong ale ? Anyone tried that , if yes what are the results ?

The first beer I ever made where I could say to myself, "Wow, that's really good!" was a Belgian Golden Strong using wlp550. The recipe I used was a modified, less hoppy version of "She Devil". So, yes, very good results for that style with wlp550.

OP
OP
B

beerRush

Reaction score
The first beer I ever made where I could say to myself, "Wow, that's really good!" was a Belgian Golden Strong using wlp550. The recipe I used was a modified, less hoppy version of "She Devil". So, yes, very good results for that style with wlp550.
Great to hear. How you ferment that ? I mean what is the schedule . I started today with 18C, how you do it ?

hamachi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Great to hear. How you ferment that ? I mean what is the schedule . I started today with 18C, how you do it ?

Ha! This was before I knew anything about the importance of temperature control. So I'd characterize it as, "Pitch low and let it go." I pitched the yeast at about 18C. I do remember the fermenter getting warm to the touch a few days in and thinking, "I wonder if that's too hot?" But it's a Belgian yeast, so everything was fine.

DuncB

Reaction score
WLP570 is low flocculating. I made a Belgian Golden Strong with it and it never cleared, even after two months. I don’t use clarifiers other than whirlfloc. It tasted wonderful. I want to repeat that recipe with WLP550.
Thanks for this info, just built my 570 starter for a brew tomorrow.
Won't forget whirlfloc, clarity ferm, finings and cold crash / lager with your info. Did you bottle or keg?

SRJHops

Why did the rabbit like NEIPA's so much?
Reaction score
One of my favorite styles.. I recommend pitching plenty of yeast, and pitching at 68. Let it free rise to 78 or so. Don't exceed 80. But if you really want a Duvel clone, pitch a bit lower temp. Personally, I like a bit more flavor than Duvel.

DuncB

Reaction score
thanks @SRJHops
I pitched at 16 as chiller a little too efficient, 2.5 litre starter and am slowly bumping temperature up, so that ferment temp takes over.
Time will tell.

SRJHops

Reaction score
thanks @SRJHops
I pitched at 16 as chiller a little too efficient, 2.5 litre starter and am slowly bumping temperature up, so that ferment temp takes over.
Time will tell.
Sounds good. I usually see a 9 or 10 degree rise. I hold it at the highest temp it reaches between 75 and 80. Good luck!

DuncB

Reaction score
@SRJHops
Well I ramped to 26.5 celsius over 3 days and by day four looks about 95% done via the ispindel. How long do you keep it at that final temp? Some sites say leave 2 weeks and then a Duvel article suggests they rack to a secondary and then lager for 2 weeks. I'm inclined to give it a few days more to ensure it's fully done.

SRJHops

Reaction score
@SRJHops
Well I ramped to 26.5 celsius over 3 days and by day four looks about 95% done via the ispindel. How long do you keep it at that final temp? Some sites say leave 2 weeks and then a Duvel article suggests they rack to a secondary and then lager for 2 weeks. I'm inclined to give it a few days more to ensure it's fully done.

So here's a true story that recently happened: I wasn't happy with my Golden Strong, so I dumped it and started over -- with just TWO WEEKS until I had to submit it to competition. It finished in 7 days and I kept it in the fermenter another 7 days to settle via soft crash. I bottled it with sugar the NIGHT before I submitted it, hoping they would not immediately chill it. They didn't! It took first place with a score of 46/50! :)

SO, my learning is there is no need to lager these beers! Now, mine was "only" 9%, and perhaps if you go higher it helps to sit it down a bit, but still...

For your beer, I would hold that highest temp reached until you get the same SG/FG for 2-3 days, then ramp it up another 5 degrees for 2 days for good measure. Then let it sit for at least a week before bottling. Two weeks is fine too. Soft or cold crash if you like, but I don't really think it's necessary. But no need for extensive lagering based on my experience.

Last edited:

DuncB

Reaction score
So here's a true story that recently happened: I wasn't happy with my Golden Strong, so I dumped it and started over -- with just TWO WEEKS until I had to submit it to competition. It finished in 7 days and I kept it in the fermenter another 7 days to settle via soft crash. I bottled it with sugar the NIGHT before I submitted it, hoping they would not immediately chill it. They didn't! It took first place with a score of 46/50! :)

SO, my learning is there is no need to lager these beers! Now, mine was "only" 9%, and perhaps if you go higher it helps to sit it down a bit, but still...

For your beer, I would hold that highest temp reached until you get the same SG/FG for 2-3 days, then ramp it up another 5 degrees for 2 days for good measure. Then let it sit for at least a week before bottling. Two weeks is fine too. Soft or cold crash if you like, but I don't really think it's necessary. But no need for extensive lagering based on my experience.
Thank you
I'll give that a go and update in a few weeks.