wlp540 abbey IV high temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockharrier

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting my first belgian beer -- a dubbel. Thought it might be a good choice for mid-July since the Belgian yeasts tend to have a higher temperature range. I pitched a 1 liter starter of WLP540 last night at 74F and it took off in a few hours. Since then, the temperature has risen to 78F, I assume due to the fermentation itself. White Labs lists the high end of WLP540 at 72 degrees. Has anyone used this yeast at higher temperatures, and what kind of results can I expect? I'm a little hesitant to throw the fermenter in an ice bath, as I've read this yeast is real sensitive to temperature drops. So the question is whether I should cool it down, or just ride it out at 78F. I don't mind a few extra esters, just don't want any nasty flavors.

I had a similar situation with Wy1762 which is supposedly the equivalent to WLP540. I let temps get into the upper 70's in the first three days. Back then I did drop it into a swamp cooler, but knowing what I know now about yeast sensitivity to temp drops, I would not do that again. I'd just ride it out. In my case, it was a Rochefort 8 clone and it did make for some noticeable banana esters, but nothing too extreme. They did mellow out after 6 mos in the bottle.

I have not used 540 but have used 1762 which is the same yeast. Unfortunately that yeast is the most sensitive to high temps of all the Belgian yeasts. You have a big dilemma. That yeast getting that hot so fast will produce fusels. When I first started brewing I took the advice that is often repeated here about Belgians liking it hot. I did the same thing you did and that yeast produced terrible fusels. The problem you have now is that if you try to cool it, the yeast will stall and not restart. You pretty much are left to ride it out and hope the fusels are not that bad.

In the future you are better off pitching in the mid 60's, holding it there for a couple of days and then letting the temp rise.

Good luck.

Well I've decided to take chance and stick it in a water bath. The water is still 72 degrees, so hopefully I can bring it down slowly, and then maintain at 72 or 74 or so. It's only been actively fermenting for about 10 hours, so hopefully the yeast can take it. I don't mind fruity esters, but really don't want fusels. Next time I'll pick a different yeast, but half of homebrewing is continually learning...through mistakes sometimes.

If it has only been ten hours you may be OK. Just don't cool it too low and you may be good.

Hope it turns out OK.

Well I've decided to take chance and stick it in a water bath. The water is still 72 degrees, so hopefully I can bring it down slowly, and then maintain at 72 or 74 or so. It's only been actively fermenting for about 10 hours, so hopefully the yeast can take it. I don't mind fruity esters, but really don't want fusels. Next time I'll pick a different yeast, but half of homebrewing is continually learning...through mistakes sometimes.

Ya, it should be fine if you slowly drop temps. In my case, I put it in an ice bath to quickly cool it to 70. Most of the fermentation was done by then anyway, but still not a great practice.

It's down to 74 right now. I'm going to try to keep it there. Smells good. Thanks for the advice, all. I'll try to follow up with results, just crossing my fingers right now.

My first batch stayed between 74* to 78* and came out just fine, key is to minimize fluctuations, and also the first few days to a week, the heat from fermentation will slowly subside. Let it ride and see how it looks when you transfer to secondary. I've since modified my places where I let fermentation to happen and usually maintain in an insulated area where I can sump cool and place an ice bucket near to keep area cool, but not directly on it, also look into those chemical freeze packs to put near, just remember cold air sinks and warm air rises, so adjust your fermentation station accordingly to allow warmer air to escape or atleast to keep cool air around and mostly insulated so that temps stay fairly even and minimize fluctuations. Even if too high, or what you think, remember that most belgian Ales temps can tolerate it. Personally instead of the water bath, I would've just thrown a wet T-shirt on it to let it swamp cool slowly. Main thing is to let it ride.

Yeast labels are like Speed limit signs for curvy roads, eventhough it might be "ideal", doesn't mean +2-3* is gonna skunk your beer. Keep fluctuations under 5* +/-, otherwise, expect off flavors.

Well, it's still sitting at 74F, so after lowering it 4 degrees, temp has been constant. I took a sample, and thought it tasted pretty darn good. Fair amount of banana, but no solvent or "hot" taste. OG was 1.066, now at 1.032 after about 45 hours. Definitely slowing down, but hopefully won't get stuck. I'm optimistic.

now stop sampling so often, so you don't risk contaminating it, and just let it ride. If it does gets stuck; give it a very gentle shake or swirl. Give it time, if you've gotten this far, it'll keep going, and when it slows down, no problem, just don't mess with it til it's hit atleast 12-14 days from pitching your yeast, then transfer to secondary..add some candi syrup or just transfer and let it age for another month or so..Longer the better. Just keep that temp constant and you'll be fine.

Back