WLP530 and Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

moe.ron86

Reaction score
Hello all!

In a bit of a jam. I made a starter which is my 1st time but I cheated and used the red can Proper Starter. I made 2 cans in fact which with the can and 16oz of water it says it's a SG of 1.040. Was gonna make the beer today but who knows now...

Step by step. Yesterday at 230(ish) I sanitized a 1 gallon spring water plastic jug. Then, I opened up both cans and emptied it. I took the spring water from a new gallon jug and filled the cans up for 16oz of water, per directions for a 2L starter. Sanitized the scissors and yeast packet and dumped it in. The beer I'm making is a Belgian quad with a SG of 1.106. I have S-33 on hand if the starter does take off like I'm guessing it's not, due to no activity. So, my questions are - has anyone had the same with WLP yeasts? Does 530 take longer than other liquid yeast to take off in a starter? I don't use liquid that often and after the last few times I'm not impressed.

Thanks guys.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a date on your pack of WLP530? In my experience it does not have a significant lag time (and it always creates a massive krausen!).

S-33 would be a very poor choice of yeast for a Quad. S-33 is really more of a low attenuating ESB style yeast that is poorly labeled.

OP
M

moe.ron86

Reaction score
Is there a date on your pack of WLP530? In my experience it does not have a significant lag time (and it always creates a massive krausen!).

S-33 would be a very poor choice of yeast for a Quad. S-33 is really more of a low attenuating ESB style yeast that is poorly labeled.
The Date on my yeast says Best By: Feb. 26 of 22 and the Lot number.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've received dead liquid yeasts too many times to count. That being said, wait a couple days before adding any more yeast.

IF your WLP530 is truly dead (which I'm not convinced of yet), I would use something other than S-33. There are other good Belgian strains out there including Lalbrew Abbaye or Wit or Belle, or Fermentis BE-134 or BE-256.

Save the S-33 for an English session beer later, it can't ferment maltotriose, so with your wort, the FG with it would be super high like 1.050 = not okay for this one. But for a session beer where you only want like 3-4% ABV, it will work fine.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can confirm this. I recently made a Wee Heavy, which S-33 took from 1.092 to 1.041. That said, it tasted pretty good, and I might use it again for a big beer.