WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvery37

Reaction score
I have used WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast for my past two brews. On the most recent, after cold crashing the starter I decided to taste it. I expected it to taste horrible. It was on a stir plate for 24 hrs at room temp (68-70). I was very surprised. The decanted portion of the starter was almost tasteless. It may have had a small amount of diacetyl. I really didnt expect it to be so clean.

The first brew I used it on I started it at 61 degrees and fermentation took off without any problems. After tasting the starter I dont know if it is really necessary to push the temp that low for a clean fermentation. It isnt done yet so I wont have a final taste for several more weeks.

I currently have a very light golden ale brewing with the WLP090 and if the starter was any indication it will turn out very good. An interesting yeast if you are looking for something new to try.

I just brewed a 10 gallon Barley Wine (basic Morebeer kit) yesterday using the WLP090. My starters fermented at around room temp and finished around 1.025 (high?). Pitched into 74 degree wort last night and this morning the temp was up around 76 (woops!). Added ice and cold water around the carboys and it's down to 70 after the first 12 hours. Hope the initial heat spike didn't produce any off flavors, but time will tell.

This is a beast of a yeast! Started fermenting 6 hours after pitching and blew the airlocks at around 12 hours. Most vigorous ferment I've ever seen. :rockin:

http://imgur.com/a/bScey#0

Any one else had experience with this yeast? I usually use 001 for something like this but decided to give this San Diego Super Yeast a whirl.

Cheers!

I'm getting a starter of this going tonight for my TitsUp IIPA from the forum. I've used it the past for the Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale and I went from grain to glass in a week (kegged).

I have used this yeast many, many times! It is definitely one of my most used yeasts over the past year. I have done a good 10 brews with it and have yet to find something it does not work well with. It definitely works as a replacement for WLP001. It gives the same flavor profile as California Ale but ferments a little faster.

@ShinyBuddha - Grain to glass in a week is pretty amazing!

@NcBrewer35 - Nice. I assume the flavor profile is very clean then. Exactly what I'd hoped for.

It also flocs a little better, but is much more finicky as far as temperature goes. You really need to keep it in that narrow range to get the best out of it (fast, flocs, clean).

Back