WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Did anyone else see this on the White labs website?

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/new_strain.html

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast - A super clean, super-fast fermenting strain. A low ester-producing strain that results in a balanced, neutral flavor and aroma profile. Alcohol-tolerant and very versatile for a wide variety of styles. Similar to California Ale Yeast WLP001 but it generally ferments faster.
Optimal Fermentation Temperature: 65-68F
Attenuation: 76-83% +
Flocculation: Medium-High
Alcohol Tolerance: High

Looks like a total winner to me. It seems kind of like a higher flocculate version of US-05, which i've always found to attenuate a touch more than WLP001. ~80% attenuation and high flocculation.... seems like a perfect yeast for most American ales.

I just picked up a vial of this from my LHBS, it has a cool looking graphic and a color label instead of the usual plain gold. The guy at the shop told me he talked to some White Labs people at the national homebrew convention and this stuff can fully ferment even a fairly high gravity beer in about 3-4 days! Sounds unbelievable, I can't wait to give it a try. My only issue now is I'm not sure what to brew with it. Anyone use this stuff yet and have suggestions?

I'd brew a 1.045 blonde ale with it to get a feel for its charecteristics, then do an IPA or IIPA on top of the yeast cake.

I read about this through a email from AHS, and was excited to see the specs until i read the optimal fermentation temps of 65-68F..... i personally ferment all my ales at about 72-74 so im not sure how this strain would fair, but i might try it anyways when i need a quick turn around. If anyone knows 100% which brewery this came from id love to know.

My guess would also be that it is a Port Brewing strain, although there is a slight chance that it might be the strain that Alesmith uses.

I'm thinking time for a huge IIPA...something along the lines of a Hop Suey, PTY or Maharaja (some of the older, bigger batches)

My guess would also be that it is a Port Brewing strain, although there is a slight chance that it might be the strain that Alesmith uses.

I'm thinking time for a huge IIPA...something along the lines of a Hop Suey, PTY or Maharaja (some of the older, bigger batches)
I was guessing Stone's.

I have a friend who is a brewer at Port, I'll ask and report back.

Be interested to see what he has to say.

For some in the beginning, however hearing there brewer in a recent Pod Cast, They came up with there own strain.

The fact that an English yeast is always recommended in Stone recipes, I don't think a yeast very similar to WLP001 would be from Stone.

Anyone have any results with this strain yet? I picked up two vials at my lhbs and plan to do an arrogant bastard insulted rye beer. I am a little scared it will dry it out too much so I am probably going to mash high and ferment at 60 even though it was below the recommended temp.

from the whitelabs page (link in post #1)

Is this strain from one of your San Diego clients?

No. We included the name San Diego in the title to honor the hometown of White Labs.

I used it on an IPA I brewed at a local microbrewery, and I was really impressed. Fermented at 65 and it was done in three days, and it actually flocc'd pretty well after a cold crash. It was a nice clean ferment that really let the hops come through. I'm going to start using it at home for sure...

I used it on an IPA I brewed at a local microbrewery, and I was really impressed. Fermented at 65 and it was done in three days, and it actually flocc'd pretty well after a cold crash. It was a nice clean ferment that really let the hops come through. I'm going to start using it at home for sure...

How would you compare it flavor profile wise to WLP001? I'm a dry IIPA drinker (and therefore frequent brewer) and love the idea of a really fast WLP001.

I was initially thinking this might be PacMan and just saw this today on MoreBeer. So WLP090 = Pacman confirmed? Can anyone corroborate this?

White Labs - Super Yeast
WLP090

A super clean, super-fast fermenting strain. A low ester-producing strain that results in a balanced, neutral flavor and aroma profile. Alcohol-tolerant and very versatile for a wide variety of styles. Similar to California Ale Yeast WLP001 but it generally ferments faster.

Attenuation: 76-83%
Flocculation: Medium to High.
Optimum Fermentation Temp: 68-72.
Wyeast Equivalent: 1764 PacMan
http://morebeer.com/view_product/12131//White_Labs_-_Super_Yeast

Not sure about it being identical as Pacman, as the attenuation, and recommended temps seem quite different. 76-83% vs. 72-78% and 65-68* vs. 60-72*.

I bought a vial at the LHBS store today, and will brew with it tomorrow.

I used 090 and Pacman on a recent split batch of pale ale. Been in bottles for 10 days now. So far I like the flavor of the Pacman a little better but the Super seems to let the hops shine a little more. Their differences aren't massive but they are not the same yeast.

I used 090 and Pacman on a recent split batch of pale ale. Been in bottles for 10 days now. So far I like the flavor of the Pacman a little better but the Super seems to let the hops shine a little more. Their differences aren't massive but they are not the same yeast.

Nice to know! I almost grabbed this yeast from MoreBeer (saw it listed on their site) for my last pale ale, but due to a few reasons (got backed up with work and didn't have time to make a starter and MB just picked up Wyeast and had Pacman sitting on the top of the box in the fridge) I went with Pacman instead.

I brewed with San Diego Super yeast in a double black IPA two weeks ago. It went from 1.088 down to 1.015 in less than 7 days at 64F (~83% apparent attenuation).

How would you compare it flavor profile wise to WLP001? I'm a dry IIPA drinker (and therefore frequent brewer) and love the idea of a really fast WLP001.

I find it quite similar to 001/1056, but haven't done a side by side with it. I definitely like it, and it works great for a quick turnaround. I'm definitely going to start using it in some of my home batches after tasting the commercial batches.

From what a couple local brewers have told me, this yeast "Really" needs to be around 65 for the whole fermentation. Here in San Diego we cheat a lot and have the beer in our houses. This puts the fermentation temp right around 70-72.

I am 3 batches in with this (different homebrewers) and they are all saying it is a very long fermentation at that higher temp. About 7 to 10 days of active fermentation. On one RIS the beer had a OG of 1.080 and finished at 1.024 after 12 days.

For the other 2 batches they were right at 68 for the ambient temp of the chamber. They also were active for 7 days straight. He did a split batch with dry yeast 05. He sent me a picture of the finished wort and the Super is clearer than the 05. They also finished at the same F.G.

Currently I have a Janet's Brown and a Classic Porter in the fermentation chamber at 61 with a wort temp of 64 (as of this morning/day 3) I am still in a very active fermentation.

Mine as of now is the only one that is within range per White Labs. But I have a feeling that this will ferment longer than the 3 days posted by WL's.

Does any one else have any input?

Well mine is off to a slow start. I pitched a 1 liter starter on a stir plate at high krausen into 5 gal or 1.055 wort, and no activity yet after 12 hours. I'm fermenting at 64.

Well mine is off to a slow start. I pitched a 1 liter starter on a stir plate at high krausen into 5 gal or 1.055 wort, and no activity yet after 12 hours. I'm fermenting at 64.

Huh, I was looking into using this, what was your grain bill?

From what a couple local brewers have told me, this yeast "Really" needs to be around 65 for the whole fermentation. Here in San Diego we cheat a lot and have the beer in our houses. This puts the fermentation temp right around 70-72.

I am 3 batches in with this (different homebrewers) and they are all saying it is a very long fermentation at that higher temp. About 7 to 10 days of active fermentation. On one RIS the beer had a OG of 1.080 and finished at 1.024 after 12 days.

For the other 2 batches they were right at 86 for the ambient temp of the chamber. They also were active for 7 days straight. He did a split batch with dry yeast 05. He sent me a picture of the finished wort and the Super is clearer than the 05. They also finished at the same F.G.

Currently I have a Janet's Brown and a Classic Porter in the fermentation chamber at 61 with a wort temp of 64 (as of this morning/day 3) I am still in a very active fermentation.

Mine as of now is the only one that is within range per White Labs. But I have a feeling that this will ferment longer than the 3 days posted by WL's.

Does any one else have any input?

Lewy, I think you meant 68 ambient (not 86)... Anyhow, yeah both US-05 and WLP090 were active for about a 6-7 days... US-05 started about 4 hours earlier (no starter) then 090 but the 090 ended up much clearer! 05 on left 090 on right (Sorry about the sideways pic and size!)

IMG_0803.jpg

Lewy, I think you meant 68 ambient (not 86)... Anyhow, yeah both US-05 and WLP090 were active for about a 6-7 days... US-05 started about 4 hours earlier (no starter) then 090 but the 090 ended up much clearer! 05 on left 090 on right (Sorry about the sideways pic and size!)

Yes, 68. I'll go back and edit that.

Fermented out in about 5 days at 64* Attenuated about the same as US-05. We'll see how it tastes.

Can't wait to get some of this. I'm going to build up a 2 gallon starter and can a bunch of jars of the stuff. I have a strong feeling it's going to knock the 05 and 001 out of my fridge for good...

Well experiences so far with this strain. I started fermentation at 60 alongside a barley wine fermenting with pacman. I did this since I heard pacman is not such a beast at 60 degrees. The super yeast started pretty quick 4-6 hours. It fermented really slow though and this was only a 1.068 beer using a 2 liter starter. I assume this was because of the slightly lower temperature. After a week it was only down to 1.026. I got both batches up to 68 to finish off. After a day the super yeast batch got down to 1.012. That said I don't think its pacman as some people are saying. The yeast did give high attenuation but left some maltiness. Its closer to wlp001 then pacman IMO.

I'm drinking the pale ale I made with it now. It turned out nice and clean. I'd use it over WLP001 if I used liquid, but I tend to use US-05 due to convenience most of the time.

Started at 68 within 6 hours on a 1.059 pale. We will see how it attenuates but so far its been rocking hard for 3 days.

Back