WLP080 (Cream Ale blend) and IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loctones

Reaction score
Anyone use WLP080 in IPAs? It's a recommended usage, according to white labs. The thing is that in my experience there's a noticeable sulfur nose to the beer for a week or two after primary fermentation is finished. 7 to 10 days near freezing temperatures clears up the sulfur for me on the cream ales I've brewed with it.

I'm thinking about how to dry hop this beer. I'm at terminal gravity right now. I have two doses of dry hops to add to the beer, as I like to do one in the primary fermenter and a second dose in a 'dry hop keg' (secondary) before I keg the beer. For the initial dose of dry hops, I have a couple of options:

1) Add to fermenter right now. Sit at ambient for 4 days. Drop to 32 for a week. Rack to dry hop keg.

2) Drop to 32 now. Sit for a week. Bring back up to ambient and add dry hops for 4 days. Rack to dry hop keg.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards option 1, but that's almost two weeks on the dry hops which might lend a grassy character to the beer. I'm hoping that the extraction at near-freezing temperatures will be minimal, but I don't know if that's true or not.

That's interesting usage but it makes sense. A very clean blend of ale and lager yeasts can absolutely let the malt and (especially) the hops shine brightly.

That's the idea. Lots of hops, with some Maris Otter, victory, and pale chocolate to give it a nice amber color and a toasty malt character.

I decided to add the first dose of dry hops now, then crash cool after 4 days, followed by the second batch of dry hops.

The sample I took last night was right on track, with the expected sulfur notes I seem to get in the first couple of weeks with this strain.

Back