WLP051 Cali V yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthebackwoods

Reaction score
I am brewing a pale ale this coming weekend using WLP051 Cali V yeast. I just got a new chest freezer and temp controller for my fermentation. White Labs recommends this yeast between 66F-70F for optimal fermentation. I'm looking for opinions of those who have experience with this yeast. What would be a good temperature to set my controller to with this yeast? I heard a lot of people say it can take a little bit for fermentation to start with this yeast, so I plan to make a starter to nip that in the bud a little. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

I used it with my controller set to 70, probe taped to the side of the carboy and insulated. It came out clean and fermented down nicely. It's a nice change of pace from the 001 I suppose.

i just did a hoppy red rye with 051 - started it at 66 for ~ 4-5 days then slowly went up a degree or so every day or 2 until 70

it's a very slow yeast, started really quickly for me but took a while for krausen to drop and the yeast to floc out

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions with this one. I think I'll start my probe around 66 for a week or so and maybe adjust up from there. Maybe let it sit for 2 weeks before dry-hopping to let the krausen settle.

Great yeast, fuller flavor and better mouthfeel than 05/001/1056 and as other have mentioned it takes a while to floc. The first generation (before I washed it) took 2 full weeks for the krausen to go down. Subsequent generations have flocced faster.

I've always set the temp at 67* for this one and it's tasted great.

Back