WLP030 Thames Valley & WLP515 Antwerp are super-Chicos?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried wolf? I did a smash with it and while it does have really unique fruit character it is straight dill, worse than Sorachi Ace! Cardinal is the one I’ve been hoping to try but I can’t find it anywhere in the US.

Don't tell me that, I've got some Wolf in the post! Dill is great for pickles, but man.

As a heads-up for anyone in the UK - BrewUK have finally got 3655 Schelde in stock. Mine's not arrived yet but since it was a Q2 release I'm expecting it to have a best-before of October or so. I also managed to grab two out of three Omega kveiks in the 24 hours before they sold out, but Hornindal sold out whilst I was placing the order! Hohum.

White Labs have just taken down their schedule of seasonal releases - possibly because WLP773 Scottish Cider got a Vault release a few months before it was due to come out as a seasonal - but they were planning to release WLP515 as a seasonal in September.

Last edited:
I attended a presentation by the president of Omega Yeast last night in Indianapolis where he talked on Kveiks. I hadn't paid much attention to that yeast strain before, but I will now. There was a very interesting Hornindal beer served that presented outstanding fruitiness. It's very temperature tolerant too.

Anyone here have any more beta on wlp030? This yeast looks really interesting to me. Just found some online that was on sale which means I’m sure it’s expired but whatever I can salvage it somehow I’m sure.

It’s amazing how little info there is out there on this yeast. Clean, fast, good attenuation, high flock, and a “bigger mouthfeel” which I would associate with increased glycerol production??

I have used wlp030 a few times, I don't seem to get the attenuation listed on the white labs site. Looked like I got something 64 to 68%. I did not rouse the yeast so maybe that would help, but I did increase temp to help it to finish up. Not sure about the mouthfeel thing either, the last brew was a dark mild and it seemed a bit thin for a 1012 FG. It does clear well but does not act like WY1968 where the beer is clear without crashing.

WLP036 over attenuated for me and that one seemed to still have OK body.

White Labs is releasing everything in the vault. There is some 030 & 515 headed my way. Hopefully with multiple ice packs, it's summer in SoCal. That's your update and a bump to boot.

No, not multiple ice packs...
I can work around poor viability but you got to think if I'm dealing with bad shipping conditions in L.A. which is just a couple hours from san diego what do all their customers from other parts of the country have to deal with. This is a black eye for WL in my opinion. I appreciate their releasing so many strains but they could have afforded to do so at a loss or at a higher price to the consumer. I didn't sign a contract and the final price was based on what they decided to charge me... I will send some pics from my phone shortly to show conditions. Its pretty obvious...

Poor planning on my part. The Thames ale yeast was shook. I will try to remember to post in a couple days. When it drops it is more definitive. I had two vials and pitched one. Was thinking of pitching the second even after a starter because it behaved poorly... Opted to take a chance with one. The Thames yeast was clearly darker and took quite a while to come to life in a shaken not stirred style starter. The Antwerp however looks healthy even with 10 days less best by date...
20190716_160953.jpeg
20190716_161021.jpeg

There. Shook both. A quicker solution. You can see the difference in quality. Not my doing, white labs left something to be desired with this.
20190716_162325.jpeg

However I did brew a 5 gallon batch of a pale ale that I am very familiar with and will relay my ultimate impressions with the strain in a month or so.

@hotwatermusic Trust you've revive the yeast. Chris White emailed "me" to say they are sending the 5 yeasties I ordered. They have created a shipping label but USPS hasn't picked up yet.

A guess would be that they have cleared out existing product sitting in stock, which is what you've gotten. At the same time, probably re-culturing for what wasn't in stock, and will send those out soon.

When I visited White Labs almost 2 years ago. The bartender told me that they have a pretty big selection in house, and came back 2 minutes later with WLP085 English Ale blend, which I've never seen offered on line or in person.

I did make a starter and it has behaved well thus far. Average lag phase and a vigorous fermentation. I filled a 6 gal. Better Bottle to near the 6 gallon mark so there has been some blow off but my first observation is a reasonable krausen and not exactly crawling out of the fermenter (which I am happy about). I should give credit where credit is do. White labs is dropping a serious load of options.

Bumping this as both Wlp030 and 515 are available from WL right now. As is 585 and 835... 2 great but rarely released strains.

Didn’t order any 515 but after reading this thread again I kinda wish I had. Would be very interested to try three different beers fermented with 515. One at 50 with lager pitch rates, an IPA of sorts in the mid 60s, and something a little smaller but fermented in the 70s.

Yeah, the new "Vault" system is a bit random but at least it means that they get released more often from what I can tell.

I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet but we now know that WLP515 is a Frohberg-type lager yeast, that like S-23 and WLP940 Mexican looks like it originally came from Urquell. I got another tube last year and also some Wyeast Schelde to compare (and a bottle of DK that broke in transit...) but was separated from them during lockdown and have only recently met up with them again.

Still no information on how WLP030 fits in, other than we now have a higher-resolution map of the Chico family which has Gallone's Beer067 at its heart, very closely related to the original BRY-96. So whatever Beer067 is, it looks like a British brewery using the Sierra Nevada yeast (rather than the other way round), and the numbering would fit WLP030 or thereabouts but we just don't know.

Back