WLP023 Burton Ale yeast Going Crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
image-660960207.jpg

I pitched this Sunday night and it's been going pretty strong since. Came home tonight and checked on it to see my airlock full of yeast and a nice little mess around my fermenter. I was suprised since I have about 4 1/2 gallons in my 8 gallon bucket, never thought I'd have this issue! Lightly set the lid back on and let it be on it's
merry way!!

I was going to try that yeast with a porter I just did but opted for the Wyeast Whitbread instead. That photo just inspired me to use it next batch I do.

Seems pretty awesome, smells good! Wish I had a better regulated ferm chamber setup, I think it got a lil cold and the activity calmed down quite a bit. Was trying to keep it at 68 a few days longer but it dropped to 63 :(. Added some boiling water to the water bath it's sitting in and brought it back up. I'll have to take a gravity readin here soon and see how things are coming along.

Yeah this yeast was all over my fridge when I woke up today and an open carboy ; ;

Are you getting any unusual ester smells with this yeast? I noticed some when I racked to secondary last week.

My oatmeal stout went nuts with this yeast, it was my first blowoff tube need.

I get some great fruity esters in the taste and smell. From my sample that I tasted when I took my FG reading it had a nice ester profile but still a good complex malty backbone, really looking forward to tasting it all carb'd up!

I was getting a lot of like over ripe banana on the nose. Kind of hard to describe. This was a big beer too (~1.080), so maybe the high alcohol had a little bit to do with it.

Back