WLP023 Burton ale help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oster99

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm a relative noob so I need a little advice. I made an IPA yesterday with 4 lbs light DME, 3lbs amber DME, 1/2 lb crystal, 1 lb munich, and 1 lb victory. Total boil volume was about 3.5 gallons. The wort was cooled in about 1.5 hours and I topped off the carboy with another two gallons of tap water. Pitched yeast at 73 degrees. My question is...When should I start seeing fermentation activity? All the White Labs vials I've used so far have started in about 8-12 hours. It's been about 27 hours since I pitched and there is ZERO activity! Should I let it sit for a couple of days? Thanks!

Great Yeast!... and welcome to the board! I just brewed a bitter with this yeast and it has lots of character. I'm pretty much a newbie, too, but I dived right into all-grain (after months and months of research!). 1.5 hours cooling seems a bit long to cool. You should have it below 80 F within 30 min. (that sound right everyone?). What was the temp. of the wort when you pitched? Did you aerate the wort? Also, I've never done an extract or partial mash, but I think if you're going to top off with water after the boil, the water should be boiled/cooled first to kill off microbes. Did you do that?

Even 27 hours is too early to get worried. Wait at least 48 hours, when you pitch a vial directly - there is a long lag phase due to yeast grow.

Burton Ale is definitely a great yeast, you will end up with a great beer, don't worry!

Thanks for the replies. I was cooling without a wort chiller using an ice bath...that's what took so long. It seems my worrying was a bit premature because when I got home today the airlock was bubbling away and it the kraussen is starting to build. Thanks for the help!

Good to hear all is working out well. A couple suggestions for you. Whirlpool the wort in the kettle while you ice bath, it will make a big difference in cooling time. I'd also suggest using all light extract and use your specialty grains for color.

Back