WLP008 - Yooper's Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
Folks,
I am heading back to the US for a few weeks and I it looks like I'll have a chance to brew up an extract batch with a buddy while I am home.
After brewing Yooper's Pale Ale over here in China, I am keen to try brewing it again at home.
Our hometown, and more so the towns surrounding our hometown, were devastated by Hurricane Sandy, so we are thinking we will make this Pale Ale a bit more East Coast, if you will.
We have homegrown cascade hops that we will be using and we were thinking about using WLP008 - East Coast Ale- as our yeast. An East Coast Beer called FUSandy Pale Ale.
Question is, what does everyone think of the East Coast Ale strain and how it well it will play with Yooper's recipe?
Thanks!

I use 008 for my Extra pale ale (American bitter).

It has a neutral flavor like 001, but attenuates less... Not sure how that will play with Yoop's pale ale, but its a great yeast. If you brew all grain just mash lower to account for it ..

I've used lots of different yeast strains over the yeast, but never that one. I had to look it up!

From the description, I think it would work well. It might not clear very well, but if that's not a concern I think it would be good. It sounds like it would give less hops bitterness and bring out more malt flavor, but I don't know from experience.

Thanks!
I read some reviews that were not overly positive, so I was contemplating a change to 001. But I think we'll give it a go and see how it flies!

Cranny - we brew all-grain over here in Beijing, but we'll be brewing extract back home.

We'll be bottling this so I can bring back a couple samples to Beijing. Perhaps I can harvest the yeast from the bottle and use the yeast in an all-grain version of Yooper's recipe...

It should make a good beer, it doesn't floc very well on its own, but a few days @ 45-50 does wonders...

Back