WLP008 Slow Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I'm fermenting an orange blonde ale with WLP008 right now, 5 gal, OG ~1.050, no starter. There was a snafu with my ferm chamber which dropped the beer down to 45F for about 24 hours a couple days into fermentation. I raised the temp back up to 65F and fermentation started again.

But it seems to be continuing even today, 15 days later. I'm used to fermentation ending in 7-10 days. The S-type airlock passes a bubble every 10 seconds or so and there is a very thin later light tan of krausen still. The temp is now 68F I may raise it up to 70F and let it go for another 3-4 days. I also gave the trub a stir a few days ago.

I haven't checked FG yet. I suppose I should today and again in a few days. Just curious if this was normal with this yeast.

It can take awhile to get really going again after going down that low. I would raise it up to 72F and let it clean up. You'll be in great shape with no esters and a great brew.

It can take awhile to get really going again after going down that low. I would raise it up to 72F and let it clean up. You'll be in great shape with no esters and a great brew.

So I noticed it was at 45F in the morning. I fixed the ferm chamber (temp probe went haywire) and started warming it back up with a ferm wrap. When I came home 9 hours later it was back up to 65F and happily fermenting away at the same vigor as before the accident.

Just measured... Current SG is 1.010, OG was 1.055, that's 81% attenuation! White Labs quotes 70-75%. So it must be done and just off gassing. I'm going to raise it to 70F and then cold crash in 3-4 days.

Curious why there is still krausen on top... it's not thick though, it's very light and whispy, but it isn't going away.

give it a few more days to verify it is holding at 1.010. Take your time, that yeast has been through a few shocks.

So I noticed it was at 45F in the morning. I fixed the ferm chamber (temp probe went haywire) and started warming it back up with a ferm wrap. When I came home 9 hours later it was back up to 65F and happily fermenting away at the same vigor as before the accident.

Just measured... Current SG is 1.010, OG was 1.055, that's 81% attenuation! White Labs quotes 70-75%. So it must be done and just off gassing. I'm going to raise it to 70F and then cold crash in 3-4 days.

Curious why there is still krausen on top... it's not thick though, it's very light and whispy, but it isn't going away.

I've had krausen that sticks around long after fermentation is complete. Different yeast and recipes. The beers all turned out normally, just an odd happening sometimes. Yes, to get 81% from WLP008 is unusual, but you'll have a nice beer.

Back