wlp005 British Ale w/ American hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
I was planning on doing an APA this weekend, so I went to the LHBS to grab my yeast and they were out of my go-to strain, WLP007. I find that if I ferment it at 64F with a big starter it is very clean and works well with any hop variety.

I bought 005 British Ale instead. Anyone ever use this yeast with citrusy hops? This is my first attempt with this strain and I am not sure if I should change my recipe.

1.050 target OG

90% Pale Ale Malt
5% Honey malt
5% Crystal 20L

40 IBU Magnum @ 60 mins
3 oz Ahtanum @ Flameout
1 oz Ahtanum Dry hop

I was thinking about swapping the Ahtanum for Willamette or EKG, I have plenty of both....but I was looking forward to trying this recipe. Anyone with experience with this yeast, I would love to hear what you think.

Never used that yeast. I did brew a Stone Pale Ale which is similar to the recipe above and I absolutely hate Ahtanum hop flavor. So if it was mine I'd sub Willamette hops. I used 002 yeast on that one.

Never used that yeast. I did brew a Stone Pale Ale which is similar to the recipe above and I absolutely hate Ahtanum hop flavor. So if it was mine I'd sub Willamette hops. I used 002 yeast on that one.

What do you not like about Ahtanum flavor? I've never used it before.

WLP005 is supposed to be the Ringwood Ale strain. Same thing as Wyeast 1187.

Make sure you use a BIG starter. Keep fermentation temps between 64 and 68 and you will get a very clean and FAST fermentation. It floculates very heavily. Your beer should clear up very nicely.

Many, many years ago I was fortunate to win some awards using that strain with Centennial and Cascade hops.

Vail Pale Ale

A friend told me that 005 was mid way between 002 and 007 in terms of flavor profile. I think if you keep it cool it'll be fine.

Back