WLP002 and Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I'm interested in using WLP002 for an upcoming ESB, but the attenuation figures (63-70%) give me slight pause. For those that have used this strain and are familiar with it, are you getting closer to 70, or 63?

I have used this yeast three times with two times around 67% attenuation (1.043 - 1.014) and (1.045 - 1.015), and the other at 70% (1.072 - 1.022).

EDIT: Realized I also used this yeast on an oatmeal stout I did.

This is my primary yeast for an ESB I have made for 12 batches. Attenuation is around 68. Damn good stuff. I find it takes a good 7-10 days to complete bubbling. FYI

This is an english ale strain that is supposed to attenuate less fully to allow forsome malt character, as wella s adding a little fruitiness to the brew.

For most every strain that I use, I assume mid-range attentuation for most ferments. Obviously, you can modulate the degree of attentuation through mash conditions.

2 of my current brews are with WLP002, the RIP I still have in the primary but went from 1.095 to 1.020 or 78.9% I am serious too..., but I mashed at 149*

My porter on tap also used the yeast, but was went from 1.064 to 1.018 or 71.8% I mashed this a little higher, I think 152 or 3.

Just make sure you have a big enough starter, I had about a 3.5L for my RIS

Mmm... nice slurry
P1040756.JPG

Also, this this blew off like crazy, I wished I used that fermcap stuff, I lost like 3/4 gallon I think.

Really sounds like an excellent strain. I'm going to use it for sure somewhere down the line. But I really couldn't work the numbers with enough fudge room for my satisfaction [with an ESB I'm working on], so went with the platinum/limited Essex strain. I was going back and fourth between 002 and Essex, but the bling status eventually sold me.

1.056 to 1.014 for 75% AA, mashed at 150*F for 75 min. I fermented at 64*F. I second the recommendation of the foam control drops, as it blew off a bit until I remembered to use them! Finished product is slightly fruity with a very pleasant malty ale profile. I brewed a sweet chocolate stout, the yeast was a good choice for the brew.

Man, just goes to show how different every ferment is. I've never come close to a blow-off with this strain and all three times the beer has had a 48 hour ferment.

Back