WLP001 starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Making SNPA clone (with few tweaks)

5 gall
10# two row
.75 # Carmel 60

Brewers friend has the SG at 1.060 with 75% efficiency. I use BIAB and usually hit this target.
Using WLP001 yeast
Never used this yeast before.
LHBS said I shouldn’t need a starter, however with my lack of ability to go out the LHBS, if this yeast doesn’t bite, I am out of luck.

should I make a yeast starter the night before?

thanks for any assistance!

(p.s. I miss the Mobile app!)

Make a starter. That will insure the yeast is viable. I use WLP001 often and it is a good clean yeast that eats through sugars rapidly. Also think about over building, making a larger started than you need. Then save some of the slurry for the next starter. I use half pint mason jars to keep my yeast in till I am ready to make a started again. Yeast ranching is a good way to save money and you always have the yeast you need to brew.

You can make the started the night before and pitch the whole thing minus what you hold back for the next time or make a few days ahead of time so it can finish. Then cold crash and decant the excess started liquid. Either way works.

What is the viability date on the pkg? WLP001 is one of their best sellers and the yeast health in the pure pitch package is much better than it used to be in the tubes...

I've pitched directly before many times with beers below 1.050 it's not a problem (although I do 2.5 gallon batches)...

For 5 gallons of 1.06 wort, I'd recommend a starter. I can't get Mr Malty to work on my phone but beer Smith says about 40 oz of water, plus 4 oz of DME, then onto the stir plate the night before... if you time it right, it should hit high krausen by the time you boil your big batch. Then chill, decant and pitch!

I will make a starter, just to be safe.
Thanks for the assistance.

Back