WLP001 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Black IPA yesterday and my LBHS was out of us-05 and so they gave me a vial of 001 for the price of the 05.
I don't have the means to make a starter so I just pitched the vial into the wort.
It is 3gal of wort @ 1.052. I pitched @66* and that's currently where the temp is without any signs of life. It's only been about 15 hours since I pitched.
I added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient in the boil at 15min to go.
What should I expect? Will things be fine? I assume they will be but I've never used liquid yeast before

If the vial was in-date and you aerated well, it'll be fine. It may take a few more hours to see activity though.

If the vial was in-date and you aerated well, it'll be fine. It may take a few more hours to see activity though.

Use by date was 5/27/15 and I poured through a colander with a fine mesh bag in it to catch all the hops and then I beat it to death with a whisk.

Don't worry it may take 24 to 36 hours or more with out a starter just give it some time.

Ok so it's been just over 24 hrs and there's some activity with a bunch of little yeast rafts forming on the surface. Guess you could say it's the beginning of a krausen.
Temp is currently at 69*F. Should I move the fermenter to a cooler location or just let it ride? Ambient temp currently where it's at is 68*

I think WLP 001 is a very clean yeast so if you can keep the temp close to 68 to 70 it should be good just let it ride! Good luck and just let the yeast do its job.

Back