WLP 410 fermentation speed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm5k00

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Wit fermenting away with 410, and as I've never used this strain before it has taken me by surprise. First off I have had to clean out the airlock 3 times from the krausen getting up in there (first batch I've ever had this happen, i know this is fairly common, just not for me) before i finally just cracked the seal on the lid as not to deal with it anymore, and now on day 6 of fermentation I'm still getting 5 bubbles per minute (one every 12 seconds) and I'm fermenting at about 73F..... I've read this is a slow going strain but I'm curious how long others have had to wait for their beer to reach terminal gravity? My OG was 1.064

WLP400 is slow. WLP410 works fairly quickly in my experience, especially if you are at 73F. Check the gravity - I never go by the number of bubbles since that is totally temp/airlock pressure/nucleation pt dependent.

5 days and lots of activity; you are probably close to done, but as other's will tell you, leave it another week. I've had yeast go to almost terminal gravity in 30 hours before now.

If my yeast starts too quickly, I get worried that I over-pitched and don't get all the great yeast flavors.

Back