WLP 400 Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Bought some WLP 400 a few weeks ago and wasn't able to get ingredients until yesterday due to all the closings. I made a started starter yesterday with some light DME that I had (and had made other starters recently with) and got out the WLP 400 from the fridge and it was a dark brown color. It looked off compared to what yeast normally looks like out of the package. Is this a sign of anything. The date on the package was 07/22/20 so it wasn't like it was old yeast. Thanks.

Only one way to find out if there is an issue, if it was stored properly you should be fine.

Only one way to find out if there is an issue, if it was stored properly you should be fine.

That is what I figured. I did make the starter and its on the stir plate right now. Might take a refractometer reading later today and plug it into a calculator to see if in fact the yeast are working.

Was it stored refrigerated?
I have gotten a fresh vial directly from White Labs' Yeast Vault program, 2 weeks young, and it was darkish brown too. Took a week to get a decent size starter from it.

I leave it stirring until the color has changed from medium brown to light tan. Then give it another 12 -24 hours. Cold crash for at least 24 hours and decant the (mostly) clear beer before using or, pitch as is directly from the stir plate.

Was it stored refrigerated?
I have gotten a fresh vial directly from White Labs' Yeast Vault program, 2 weeks young, and it was darkish brown too. Took a week to get a decent size starter from it.

I leave it stirring until the color has changed from medium brown to light tan. Then give it another 12 -24 hours. Cold crash for at least 24 hours and decant the (mostly) clear beer before using or, pitch as is directly from the stir plate.

I put it on the stir plate last night around 6:00-7:00pm and just checked the gravity and it doesn't appear to have moved any roughly 16 hours so I am thinking the yeast may have died. Which is really weird since it was stored refrigerated at the homebrew shop and while at home. Now to see if I can maybe source some new yeast in a fairly quick timeframe since I am planning on brewing Saturday.

If you end up replacing the yeast I'd go with Wyeast 3944. That yeast is awesome and gives you the yeast profile of Allagash White

I put it on the stir plate last night around 6:00-7:00pm and just checked the gravity and it doesn't appear to have moved any roughly 16 hours so I am thinking the yeast may have died. Which is really weird since it was stored refrigerated at the homebrew shop and while at home. Now to see if I can maybe source some new yeast in a fairly quick timeframe since I am planning on brewing Saturday.
Did the color get any lighter yet? That's the cue, IMO. Once that happens, an additional 24 hours is usually enough.

The creamier it gets the more live/viable cells you have. I've had yeast that needed a week on my shaker before the color change took place. It was also 2 years old (always been refrigerated).

But yeah, if you're brewing Saturday, I'd get a backup for all security, from another store. That may need a starter too, so time is of the essence.

It had not changed at all in color. It was still a pretty dark brown. I dumped it and have another package of yeast on hold at the brew shop.

Yup , just brewed one yesterday . The starter with WLP400 is a shade darker.

I ended up dumping the starter and went and bought new yeast and made a new starter. The starter is a little darker than my normal starters even on this new one but the yeast going in was more of a normal color than last time. I probably dumped a good batch of yeast but I just didn’t feel good about it.

I ended up dumping the starter and went and bought new yeast and made a new starter. The starter is a little darker than my normal starters even on this new one but the yeast going in was more of a normal color than last time. I probably dumped a good batch of yeast but I just didn’t feel good about it.

Yeah I was a tad puzzled by mine as well. I don't remember what it looked like the last time I used it . But needless to say 14 hrs after pitching I'm glad I used a blow off tube .

Attachments

• 15864864604234316889295567229884.jpg
    15864864604234316889295567229884.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 13
I recently did a starter of fairly fresh wlp530 and it showed no activity in 24 hours. I gave it another 24 hours and it took off. Starter turned creamy.

Back