WLP 080 (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
Is this a very active yeast strain? This is the first time I have used this yeast so not sure if it should take off, or does it just slowly go about its business? I know airlock activity isn't a good barometer, but i barely have any bubbling. I didn't know if this is typical for this type of yeast or not.

This yeast was shipped with an ice pack, but sat in a UPS warehouse over the weekend. My wife immediately put the yeast in the fridge as I wasn't home when delivered, so not sure if the yeast had gotten warm, then was re-chilled or not. If so, would this shock/harm the yeast?

recipe was: 4# Light LME, 1# Honey, 1# Honey malt, 1# Carapils, 1/2 # Two-Row. then an oz. Saaz (for 60), 1 oz. Mt. Hood leaf (for 15), 1 oz. Mt Hood leaf (5 min.), and an oz. Summit (1 min.). I also added 4 oz. Honey at flameout. This was a partial bowl (4 gallons) and late addition (half of the 5# of LME and Honey)

I'm not looking for a real sweet beer. I intend to add 2 habaneros to the wort after fermentation and was hopeful the sweetness of the honey would balance out the heat of the peppers.

I tasted the wort when doing a gravity sample and it was the first time I have tasted wort that wasn't sweet. I put a habanero in while boiling for one hour. The wort wasn't spicy either, but certainly lacked the sweetness I have always experienced in the past. There should be plenty of fermentable sugar in there for the yeast to feed upon, but it wasn't imparted to the taste buds.

Thanks, all.

Back