WLP 051 Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
I'm using the WLP051 California Ale V yeast on a borderline Oak Aged Imperial IPA I brewed a couple of weeks ago. My fermentation was pretty slow starting, probably my slowest starting batch but in a rarity for me my temp held around 64-68 degrees the whole time and lasted about 12 days. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has used this yeast and tasted or seen any real difference from standard IPA yeasts like 1056, US-05 ect...

I've used this yeast, and specifically in a split batch of American pale ale where I fermented the same wort with this and the Sierra Nevada strain you mentioned . WLP051 yeast is the Anchor brewery's ale strain. It came out fruitier than the Sierra Nevada strain and finished a little higher. I also thought the Sierra strain had a hoppier aroma/flavor. Because it's so clean it lets the hops shine through. Just one experience, but I would say if you're going for a hoppy beer, I would prefer WLP001/US-05/WY1056. The Anchor strain is nicer for beers where you want some subtle fruitiness to balance with the malt and hops (maybe a blonde ale).

I'll be interested to see how the fruity notes balance with the Oak. I usually do prefer the hoppier beers so maybe ill be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the info, i just couldn't wait myself to taste the thing. I wanted to know what to expect haha.

Back