WLP 036 (Düsseldorf Alt) leaving on yeast cake for a month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
Brewed my altbier last weekend and it's still going strong. It's currently fermenting at around 60F-61F. Is there any reason I cannot or should not let leave it on the yeast cake at 60-61F for a month to clean-up and then transfer to a corny to lager it ?

Thanks for any help! Cheers!

I don't see any issue with that at all. In fact, I have done that same technique many times in the past for lagers and ales alike. I leave most of my beers on the cake for around a month and then lager in the keg regardless of style, I believe that is why my beers are so clean.

IMO, there is no reason not to. There is also no reason to leave it on the cake for that long.

When I started, there were 2 camps. One said 2 weeks is plenty and the other said you have to leave it on the yeast for at least a month. I split the difference and went with 3 weeks. When my pipeline ran low I did a couple for 2 weeks. I didn't notice any difference. I also sometimes get lazy about packaging a beer and have left the beer on the yeast for a couple of months (5 for one) and didn't notice a difference.

The one left for 5 months was an IPA. I keg hopped it and it was pretty good. But probably not nearly as good as it would have been fresh. Depends on the style somewhat.

IMO, there is no reason not to. There is also no reason to leave it on the cake for that long.

When I started, there were 2 camps. One said 2 weeks is plenty and the other said you have to leave it on the yeast for at least a month. I split the difference and went with 3 weeks. When my pipeline ran low I did a couple for 2 weeks. I didn't notice any difference. I also sometimes get lazy about packaging a beer and have left the beer on the yeast for a couple of months (5 for one) and didn't notice a difference.

The one left for 5 months was an IPA. I keg hopped it and it was pretty good. But probably not nearly as good as it would have been fresh. Depends on the style somewhat.

Generally I'm not worried about an extended time period , but was unsure with this particular yeast and the extended time at lower temps if it had any effect on the beer.

Back