WLP 029 or Wyeast 2565?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing a springtime Kolsch this weekend and can't decide on the yeast. They each seem to have their own benefits. Temperature isn't an issue for me, I can work with either yeast as far as that's concerned. Anyone have a preference based on experience?

Or as a third alternative Wyeast 1007?

I've only used wlp029. But I LOVE it. I use it as my house strain. I've brewed Kolsch's with it as well as American Brown Ale's and APA's. It is an aweseme clean yeast that is extremely forgiving. I usually try to ferment with it around 62, but of course fermentation raises the temp. I've had it hit 72 with no ill affects. I would recommend though trying to keep wlp029 ferementing between 65-68 and you'll have an awesome brew.

I would def. use this yeast. Also, I leave in primary 3 weeks, take gravity reading (it's always done at this point in my experiance). Then I cold crash 1 week, then keg, and by 5 weeks you have a briliantly clear beer everytime.

White Labs says that 029 doesn't tend to perform well under mid-60s range, but it seems like you've had a good amount of success pitching at 62. One thing that tempts me to go with 2565 (and any Wyeast product for that matter) is the smack pack/125 ml size. It just gives me more confidence in the single dose portion to give me a complete fermentation for batches <1.060 OG.

I'm headed to the store today so a decision will have to be made. Thanks for the suggestion Dave!

I'm a bit surprised that you say the White Labs Kolsch yeast works so well so warm (70). I thought Kolsch yeast was supposed to be more finicky, and under many conditions gives distinctive flavors?

Yes, it can. However, I have a temp controller. Normally, I was setting the temp at 62 and pitching when the wort was at about 64ish. Fermentation would carry it to about 72, but I quickly dropped the temp so most of the fermentation took place at 68. I'm just saying it produces good results and you don't have to be anal about the temp rising too much. Yet, I would recommend keeping it at 68 max. Now I pitch a little colder like 60, and then lock the temp controller to 62 which has produced great results. Always attenuates to about 73 to 75%, but I always make a starter.

I have used both, won a few ribbons with both. I do not think you can go wrong with either. I am more of a White Labs guy so I would choose WLP029.

I made an Alt using the WLP029 and fermented it like 70+ [Bad temp control :( ]
The beer finished high, and was overly sweet. I have had many people tell me they love it, but I wasnt happy withe the results.

I now have a fridge and Ranco digital temp controller so im going to make another alt and ferment much cooler where it should be...
Im trying to decide if I should stick with the WLP029 or switch to the Wyeast 1007??
Im going to keg this beer and I can ferment at any temp, cold crash, whatever I need to do to get a crisp clear lager like Alt...
so which yeast should I use?
thanks

I made an altbier using 1007 and keeping it at 60 with the swamp cooler method. I highly recommend trying the swamp cooler as it costs next to nothing. In addition, because it provides a more stable temperature than my apartment I find my final gravities have been finishing lower (1.013 /14 vs the 1.018 I used to see).

1007 made a great beer at this temp. I had friends ferment a Kölsch wort with it as well at 65° and it worked fine, this yeast seems to be pretty forgiving. I have a Kölsch going now with 2565, I'll let you know how they compare. Can't comment on 029.

I just used the WLP029 for the first time and it took my 1.049 wort down to 1.012 or so within about 4 days. Temps started at 68F or so (I think) and i got it down to low 60's after the 1st day. 1qt starter for the yeast, started fermenting about 6 hours after pitch maybe. The hydro sample tastes FANTASTIC. Way better than any other sample I've taken this early. I would have sworn it had fermented and rested for 2 weeks. Malty dry, with no yeast flavor at all.

I made an Alt using the WLP029 and fermented it like 70+ [Bad temp control :( ]
The beer finished high, and was overly sweet. I have had many people tell me they love it, but I wasnt happy withe the results.

I now have a fridge and Ranco digital temp controller so im going to make another alt and ferment much cooler where it should be...
Im trying to decide if I should stick with the WLP029 or switch to the Wyeast 1007??
Im going to keg this beer and I can ferment at any temp, cold crash, whatever I need to do to get a crisp clear lager like Alt...
so which yeast should I use?
thanks

WLP029 is simply fantastic in my opinion. I have had spectacular luck with the strain, in fact, I just tapped another Kolsch tonight that used this yeast, and the neighbors and SWMBO are already circling.

WLP029 get's my vote. If you have the ability to control temp, let it sit at 66 for 4-5 weeks in primary and you will get a super clean, super dry and super authentic tasting kolsh. May I offer this recipe....there is NO NEED to ferment this yeast cool to get perfect result...as a matter of fact white labs published information states that fermented cool level of diacytel rise exponentially. At 66 or so degrees you can expect fantastic results.

9.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.60 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (90 min) Hops 19.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.71 %
Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.3 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
Sparge Water: 5.15 gal Grain Temperature: 60.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 60.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 15.75 qt of water at 163.4 F 149.0 F

In my experience, I've split batches of Koelsch with WY2565 and WLP029 @ 63-66F, and liked the flavor & aroma that shines through with the 2565 better. However, it took longer to clear up to a crystal clear beer. I now use WY2565 about 90% of the time.

TB

Edit to add: there shouldn't be any hops after the 30-25 minute mark in a true Koelsch.

I currently have an Alt in my fermenter with WLP029 and I've had some difficulty...at least I think.

The airlock isn't showing any bubbles, but I'm fairly sure the yeast is chomping away; I can see a foam cap, and after a whirl and a shake I had a good bit of pressure under my thumb.

Frankly speaking I'm a bit of a novice yet, and I am still a little nervous with the fact that I don't "see" any bubbles. I'm getting into the fermenter tomorrow and taking a SG reading. From what I've read from the other posts here, I've seen enough to ease my concerns dealing with this strain.

Latest posts

Back