WLP 005, a new speed record!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Pitched at 6am Monday and today (Tuesday) at 1pm it had already dropped krausen. I completely missed it. The only sign is bubbling and a nice ring.

1 liter simple starter into 4.5 gallons of Az's reaper mild. I'm headed over to my parents to go pull a sample. Pitched at 63 raised temp controller to 68 this morning to let it free rise.

Boom! That rules.

Lets hope it finishes lower. Pulled the sample and it's only at 1.022 (from an OG of 1.041). Tasted like one of those chocolate tootsie pops. Well if worse comes to worse I'll just pitch some Nottingham into it to dry it out. Not my favorite idea in the world but it beats a 2.4% beer.

Gave it a light swirl this morning. The WLP 002 is beginning to settle out as well. Going to check it again thursday.

Wlp has dropped clear and the beers at 1.018. Going to swirl one last time then decide if I'll keep it as is or hit it with nottingham.

Edit. The bitter with wlp 002 is at 1.012 and tastes phenominal.

I hear these stories of fast fermentations, but doesn't this typically mean you overpitched?

All I did was take 1 Liter of starter and shake it when I pitched the tube into it. That's it. No oxygen stone, no stir plate since it wasn't needed for the amount I needed according to Mr. Malty.

Got it down to 1.014.

EDIT. 65% attenuation with a pound and a half of medium crystal is good enough for me. Downside is between Thursday and Sunday I lost the orange flavor from the WLP 002 in my bitter. Just means I get to brew it again and crash cool earlier.

Back