WL007 in a starter. What am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abhitchc

Reaction score
I am doing a IPA and have white labs wl007 in a magnetic stir plate. I used the directions off of the white labs website; 1/4 c of DME with 1 quart of water. I have had it on the stir plate for 24 hours now. When I turn it off, there are ZERO bubbles. The yeast is settles on the bottom of the flask, and the liquid is cloudy. What is going on?! Is my yeast dead? Is it supposed to look like this (no bubbles)? The last time I did a starter, it was very evident that the yeast was active.

Abhitchc said:
I am doing a IPA and have white labs wl007 in a magnetic stir plate. I used the directions off of the white labs website; 1/4 c of DME with 1 quart of water. I have had it on the stir plate for 24 hours now. When I turn it off, there are ZERO bubbles. The yeast is settles on the bottom of the flask, and the liquid is cloudy. What is going on?! Is my yeast dead? Is it supposed to look like this (no bubbles)? The last time I did a starter, it was very evident that the yeast was active.

Take a gravity reading although I'd be pretty sure it's done

Take a gravity reading to be sure. The other thing with 007 is that when it's done it will floc big time!! Your flask will look like it is filled with boogers.

I'm willing to bet its done. 007 works pretty fast. especially on a stir plate.
+1 on the booger comment. it flocs well.

You guys were right. It WAS done; I was just being my usual paranoid self. It was very "boogery"!

Back