Witbier help (cereal mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to make a witbier recipe that is hopped.
I'm looking to do a 5 gallon batch with raw wheat and a cereal mash, which I have never done before.

5 lbs american 2-row
4 lbs raw wheat
.5 lbs raw oats

I am unsure on hops right now, open to suggestions. I have on hand (amarillo, citra, simcoe, tett, perle, saaz, centennial, and ctz)

I was also thinking about throwing in some orange peel.

I know with the grain bill I have an average diastatic power of about 74. Will this be enough? I thought I read somewhere you don't want to be bellow 100.

Also, would a cereal mash be required or would I be able to do a decoction mash with a rest at the require wheat temperature?

I will be using wyeast witbier 3944.

I never hopped a wit but I think Sorachi Ace will be great with it . I don´t do decoction but step mashing if you have a protein rest at 120 -125 F you would not have a problem

Hey, I'm looking to make a witbier recipe that is hopped.
I'm looking to do a 5 gallon batch with raw wheat and a cereal mash, which I have never done before.

5 lbs american 2-row
4 lbs raw wheat
.5 lbs raw oats

I am unsure on hops right now, open to suggestions. I have on hand (amarillo, citra, simcoe, tett, perle, saaz, centennial, and ctz)

I was also thinking about throwing in some orange peel.

I know with the grain bill I have an average diastatic power of about 74. Will this be enough? I thought I read somewhere you don't want to be bellow 100.

Also, would a cereal mash be required or would I be able to do a decoction mash with a rest at the require wheat temperature?

I will be using wyeast witbier 3944.

Roughly speaking, anything over about 35 degrees lintner (diastatic power) will self convert.

I think I'm going to sick to style and use saaz. 1oz for 60 minutes. throw in some coriander and orange peel

Back