Witbier Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm planning on brewing an AG Witbier pretty soon and I am just completely lost in terms of what my mash schedule should look like. I've been trying to look around online and I've read what seems to be every possible schedule suggestions and no definitive answer. So here's the recipe and here come the questions:

Recipe:

Estimated OG: 1.048
4.45 lbs - Pale Malt (2 Row)
2.88 lbs - Unmalted wheat
0.80 lbs - White Wheat Malt
0.36 lbs - Flaked Oats
0.80 lbs - Clover Honey
1.00 oz - Corriander
1.00 oz - Sweet Orange Peel
0.75 oz - Bitter Orange Peel

1) I have read that the gelatinization temperature range for unmalted wheat is from 122-150 degrees F. Wouldn't a 20 minute protein rest at around 126-128 also gelatinize the starches in the unmalted wheat allowing me to forego a cereal mash? (I'd be performing a double infusion with a 20-30 minute protein rest at 126-128, 60 minute Sacc rest at 154, and 10 minute mash out)

2) If so would the protein rest effect the body/haziness of my wit?

3) Would my amount of 2-row have enough DP to convert the starches in the unmalted wheat?

Thanks for your help in advance !!!

I used to just "mash" the unmalted stuff separate and add it to the main mash after the gelatinization period.

So take your 3 pounds of unmalted wheat, mix w/ some water and bring it to the gelatinization temp. Then prepare the mash as you normally would, but bring the unmalted wheat wheat to your desired saccharification temp first. Then mix it all together and you are good.

I have never done a protein rest. Some (older) books say that it helps with chill haze...etc, but I have also heard that modern malted barley does not need a protein rest.

Here is a little info on protein rest(s).

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Theory_of_Mashing

I just made my first Wit based on the recipes of many folks from this site. I don't know if it's gonna be good, but I have high hopes. The one thing I learned is that 1 oz of coriander is a lot! This might give you too much spice.
Here is the recipe I used FWIW:
Flaked wheat 2.50 lb, mashed
White wheat 3.00 lb, mashed
Belgian pilsner 4.50 lb, mashed
1.00 oz Hallertau [4.4AA] (60 min) Hops
0.75 oz Saaz [3.3AA] (5 min) (Aroma Hop) Hops -
0.25 oz Coriander Seed lightly crushed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Fresh Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) [Starter 16 oz] Yeast-Wheat

Back