Wit Yeast for Triple ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MugsWorth

Reaction score
I have a strong slurry of WL 400 Wit yeast that is on a 2nd batch of Wit beer. Has anyone ever tried a Belgium Triple recipe with this yeast? It seems a shame not to use it, and it smells so good. Thoughts ??

I actually thought about wit yeast for a triple today (just based on what I had onhand). But I've never tried it. My first concern was that the wort year may not have a high enough range to ferment the triple.

Otherwise, I think it would be interesting.

I actually thought about wit yeast for a triple today (just based on what I had onhand). But I've never tried it. My first concern was that the wort year may not have a high enough range to ferment the triple.

Otherwise, I think it would be interesting.
I thought I read it's ceiling was 10%. Might give it a shot. Wyeast lists there 3944 wit yeast being compatible for other styles like a Triple. Was hoping others had tried it.
Cheers

I think the division into "wit yeasts", "tripel yeasts" etc is somewhat arbitrary. It's a yeast strain that's marketed as suitable for witbier because it's probably used by a brewery successfully making such beers. You don't need a dedicated yeast for every style; many breweries will just use a single strain for all their beers (or at least all ales/lagers).

So just picture the aroma you got in your previous batches and ask yourself whether you'd like that in your tripel. Bear in mind that esters will be more pronounced at an elevated gravity, and respect the strain's alcohol tolerance.

There's no hard division between wit and abbey/trappist yeast. Generally wit strains tend to be more phenolic than fruity and abbey/trappist the other way around--but that rule has a lot of exceptions. The Achouffe strain is IMO more pepper forward than fruit while some of the wit strains are more balanced between fruit and phenolics. Just a question of whether you think you would enjoy that strain's character in a tripel.

I shall brew it like a Specialty Tripple!
Maybe a Delirium clone or something. Thanks all.

Back