Wit Partial Mash What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
Here's what I have. I took parts from different recipes that I liked. What do you think? Should I add flaked wheat to the grains? The wife really likes Allagash White and I think this might be kind of close. What says you?

Recipe: Wit
Style: 16A-Belgian And French Ale-Witbier

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 4.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 3.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 3.00 US gals
Water Added: 2.28 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG
Expected OG: 1.053 SG
Expected FG: 1.009 SG
Expected ABV: 5.8 %
Expected ABW: 4.5 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 16.6
Expected Color: 3.2 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 82.2 %
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 75.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 72 degF

Fermentables
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 3lb 0oz (39.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Pale Wheat Malt 2lb 10oz (34.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Oats 1lb 0oz (13.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 1lb 0oz (13.2 %) End Of Boil

Hops
German Tettnang (4.5 % alpha) 0.66 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz (3.0 % alpha) 0.66 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz (3.0 % alpha) 0.44 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

Other Ingredients
Whirlfloc Tablet 1.00 oz used In Boil
Yeast Nutrient 1.00 oz used In Boil
Coriander Seed 0.50 oz used In Fermenter
Orange Peel, Bitter 0.25 oz used In Fermenter

Yeast: Wyeast 3944-Belgian Witbier

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Extract
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)
Step: Rest at 151 degF for 60 mins

Recipe Notes
2oz of Fresh orange zest&nbsp;<br>2g chamomile tea

I'm not sure the Belgian wheat malt will have enough diastatic power to convert that much oat. You might want to use north american wheat malt instead. I would use flaked wheat instead of oats, or maybe use like 5% oats with the rest being wheat.

With wits I usually add a bit of lactic acid, ~10ml for a 3g batch. I also just do one hop addition for about 10IBUs.

I was looking at the US white Wheat Malt. Is that the same as torrified wheat? What would the lactic acid do for a wit?

Torrified wheat is wheat that has been cooked in a special manner so that the grain "pops" kinda like rice crispies. It makes the starches more available.

White wheat malt could be described as the wheat version of 2row barley (sorta). It's a malted and lightly toasted grain.

Wheat malt and torrefied wheat are not the same at all. Wheat malt is basically barley malt without a husk. It has diastatic power and can be used to convert itself and adjuncts. Torrefied wheat is kinda like wheat pop corn - Think Honey Smacks. No diastatic power and gives a toasted/biscuity taste.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1a

Good wits have a crisp, dry, tart finish. The lactic acid provides that tartness.

that seems like a lot of sugar for such a small beer. if you want similar to that recipe, why not just do:
3lbs wheat dme
4lb 2-row
1lb wheat
0.5lb oats
or if you can't partial mash that much
5lbs wheat dme
3lbs 2-row
0.5lb oats
those are basically the blanche recipe converted

Thanks for the help guys. Here's what I went with.

3lbs Wheat DME
4lbs 2 Row
1lbs Flaked Wheat
8oz Flaked Oats
.75oz Tettnang
1.25oz Saaz

I bought some rice hull, do you think I will need them on this one?

I'm finally getting around to brewing this. What hop schedule should I use?
The 1oz tettnang is 4.8 and the 2oz saaz is 4. I have some 16g perle too, would that be good?

What says you?

1oz saaz @60
1oz tett or saaz @10
1oz tett or saaz @flameout

unless you want to use up the perle, in which case just use that for the bittering, it should put you around the same IBUs (20ish). that should put you at a similar hop presence as the blanche, you can lower the later adds if you want less hop aroma/flavor.

This is brewed. We shall see how it comes out! We tried the hydro test, which we got the wrong reading, and it was unique tasting. How do your guy's wits taste before fermentation? By wrong reading we took it and then realized we needed to top off. The reading was 1.072 @ 70*, then we added 1g of water. What would it be adjusted.

actually, you did it correctly. its very difficult to mix water and wort properly enough to get an accurate reading, its always best to take a reading prior to top offs. your OG is now 1.0576 (= 72 * 4g / (4g+1g))

Back