Wit Beer in Primary for 5 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toestothesun

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long story short, I had some health issues arise and then had to leave the country for work for 2 months and I left my wit beer (kit) in the primary fermenter for approximately 5 months. I've read about off flavors and such. That said, should I just toss this and start new or do you think it's still ok to bottle it?

Thoughts, suggestions, and/or feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You should definitely taste it and see what it tastes like. 5 months is quite a while, especially for such a light beer. Did you still have liquid in your airlock?

You should definitely taste it and see what it tastes like. 5 months is quite a while, especially for such a light beer. Did you still have liquid in your airlock?

I do still have a small amount of liquid in my airlock

taste it first if you want. but you can learn a lot from SMELLING what you are about to drink, too.

If it aint burnin nose hairs, and causing a minor wretching reaction, then chill a glass and try it.

Jason,
Why a possibility of more yeast? Would it be to get a carbonation in the bottle, I guess?

Thanks,
I'm trying to learn!
Brian

my guess by 5 months all the yeast cells would be dead as there is nothing left to eat. There may be some cells left though. On the safe side I would add pack of yeast at bottling

I would add priming sugar mix and add yeast give it 12 hours then bottle, just to get yeast everywhere

Back