Wisconsin Micro brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otis1031

Reaction score
Headed up to S.E. Wisconsin this week for a little R&R with my family any suggestions on Micro brewers to visit while Im up there?

That's a pretty good list. New Glarus isn't very close to Milwaukee, but its worth it.

If you do Sprecher, do the beer and cheese pairing.

If you're interested in spirits, Great Lakes Distillery is a nice one to hit.

The tour at Lakefront is the best I've ever been on, and I believe one of the top entertainment stops in milwaukee and that's not just among breweries, so if you go there try and make the tour. There's also St Francis brewery just south of Milwaukee.

Sweet Mullets in Oconomowoc west of Milwaukee is worth a visit. Mark Duchow is an incredible brewer.

I know you didn't ask this specifically, but if you are in the Milwaukee area, hit Discount Liquor - I'm most familiar with the the one on Oklahoma Ave. They'll have a great selection of local and maybe stuff you can't get at home. Plus, prices are reasonable.

AND - again, I know you didn't ask - if you can, hit up the Palm Tavern and its sister bar Sugar Maple. They're just a few miles apart and often have great tap lists.

I third the Lakefront tour. It really is a lot of fun.

Good luck

Sweet Mullets in Oconomowoc west of Milwaukee is worth a visit. Mark Duchow is an incredible brewer.

I second this^^ and I second the discount liqour one as well... I go to the one in waukesha but they are similar.... Also woodman has a great selection too also in waukesha

Kenosha has rustic road brewing co down by the lake and public craft brewery not to far from there. If ya hit up rustic make sure ya try the KPA, I created that beer for the brewery.

I also enjoy water street brewery. Not a brewery but uncle mikes right of the "I" in Kenosha has about 100 craft beers on tap and an excellent food selection.

Kenosha has rustic road brewing co down by the lake and public craft brewery not to far from there. If ya hit up rustic make sure ya try the KPA, I created that beer for the brewery.

I also enjoy water street brewery. Not a brewery but uncle mikes right of the "I" in Kenosha has about 100 craft beers on tap and an excellent food selection.

I'm from Kenosha, I might have to stop by Rustic Road and try that. Both times I stopped in there it was shoulder to shoulder so I didn't stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All of the above are great. Also hit the Milwaukee Brewing Co. on 2nd St. in Milwaukee. Check out the Rumpus Room on Water St. because they have a really impressive selection of beers and the food is great.

Get down to the intersection of Lincoln/Kinnickinnick/Howard Aves. and hit the Sugar Maple bar where they have 60 taps of American craft beers, and then head next door to the Cafe Centraal where they have a ton of really good Belgian and other European beers.

Definitely stock up on New Glarus beers (only sold in Wisconsin) particularly their Thumbprint series, which is unusual beers like the Oud Bruin I have in the fridge right now.

If you make it to Madison, together with the Ale Asylum and Tyranena, definitely check out the Vintage Brewing Co. (Two locations, one right in the University of Wisconsin campus neighborhood.) It's the best brewpub I've ever been to.

In Ale Asylum's old building is Carbon 4 brewing. They made some nice beers and the food was good also. Nice guys!

And I don't know if you are into state fair type stuff, but the Wisconsin State Fair starts Thursday in Milwaukee and they have a huge outdoor bar there featuring dozens of taps of good Wisconsin craft breweries.

And craptons of good food.

State fair for deep fried food or something on a stick.

In addtion to everything else, I'd add Cafe Hollendar on the East Side or Waukesha. Not a must do but if you're in the area, stop by.

State fair for deep fried food or something on a stick.

In addtion to everything else, I'd add Cafe Hollendar on the East Side or Waukesha. Not a must do but if you're in the area, stop by.

I think you mean Wauwatosa, not Waukesha ;)

Appreciate all your responses I'm staying at my family's house on Beaver Lake in Merton so only 10 min Sweet Mullets may head out to Madison and the lakefront too. Been a Sprecher fan for years.

Back