Wiring Schematic Hybrid BCS / PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
So I have been working on a hybrid BCS (BT or Pi, I'm still not sure) and a PID controlled schematic. I would say I am about 80% done with it. But I figured I would share and see what you guys thought.

Attached is the small sketch, the link is a full size one.
http://rfimarketing.com/Ago5Fep/ReuBrew-Panel-Schematic.jpg

I used Adobe Illustrator to help me create the schematic. I know there are some drawing errors in the way it's drawn. I wanted to get my logic correct before I go back and clean it up.

What did I miss?

ReuBrew-Panel-Schematic.jpg

The power layout is not a million miles from what I am planning with my 50A BrewTroller build. I confess I don't quite see the advantage of having dedicated PID controllers and BCS, it seems redundant to me but I suppose it gives you options. Perhaps fuses or breakers for the low power stuff too? NEMA L5-15 receptacles might be nice for the pumps? I think I would try to get away with cheap board of electromechanical relays to govern the pumps, just because they take up less space than 40A SSRs.

I too am asking why BCS and PIDs? I can't think of any situation where I would want to switch between the 2 - either go for BCS or go for PIDs.
If you want to go both maybe consider building 3 boxes. 1 box for the main power with mians input, controlled 120/240V outputs and controller inputs (RJ45 cable?), the 2 control boxes - one for the BCS and one for the PIDs

I know it seems redundant but I couldn't decide so I decided both is a good idea. I like to have the PID controllers for quick read out on the panel. I was going to go with the PID style read outs on the panel but the cost was almost the same if I got actual PIDs. So I went with the actual PIDs for a backup.

I do agree with you about the displays. The I2C 7 segment displays are about $10 each, which is why I went with hacked voltmeters.

http://smokedprojects.blogspot.com/2013/08/i2c-led-display-from-hacked-voltmeter.html

Wow $35 for a display unit from OSCSYS/BT (does BCS even have these displays?), no wonder you are looking at your options.

Reu - Just had another thought on potential issues (sorry for being such a downer :D) but are you going to run 2 temperature sensors to each location? AFAIK the Auber PID take either a TC or RTD / the BCS a thermistor / and the BT a digital DS18B20 so it seems like none use the same sensor.

Wow $35 for a display unit from OSCSYS/BT (does BCS even have these displays?), no wonder you are looking at your options.

Reu - Just had another thought on potential issues (sorry for being such a downer :D) but are you going to run 2 temperature sensors to each location? AFAIK the Auber PID take either a TC or RTD / the BCS a thermistor / and the BT a digital DS18B20 so it seems like none use the same sensor.

I thought the same thing about the display units, but then I have an extra system thats going to be mounted to show what each reading is and I'll have my tablet as well. I like the idea of having the PID style temps on the box, but not at an extra $105.

you going to run 2 temperature sensors to each location? AFAIK the Auber PID take either a TC or RTD / the BCS a thermistor / and the BT a digital DS18B20 so it seems like none use the same sensor.

I know. I wasn't too excited about that but I think I am going to run a separate line for each temp sensor but I will have independent monitoring and redundancy now. I am very excited about that.

P-J: Thanks for the catch. I'll make sure they are going to neutral. It's a big DUH moment.

I thought the same thing about the display units, but then I have an extra system thats going to be mounted to show what each reading is and I'll have my tablet as well. I like the idea of having the PID style temps on the box, but not at an extra $105.

This was part of the why. Realistically I was looking at a small difference for redundant systems over having a full control or controller style system.

This was part of the why. Realistically I was looking at a small difference for redundant systems over having a full control or controller style system.

The OTHER options is the OCSYS ones are actually both LED screens for the $35 without the hacking. I am mounting a full micro-pc on the wall anyway so I'm not sure I'd need this either way.

Back