Wiring Ranco Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nediver

Reaction score
I have a leftover Ranco ETC1100 from another hobby, it came prewired with a power strip.

I just bought a fridge with top freezer on Craigs.

I assume I could just plug the whole unit into ranco and drive it that way. However, I would prefer to have the Ranco drive the fridge and have the freezer still operate for hops storage etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

That's not possible without some modification to the fridge itself and 2 temp controllers. Basically you'd need to seal of the fridge compartment from the freezer so it doesn't blow into the fridge when it's cooling the freezer. Hook the fridge wiring to the ranco and keep the temp probe for it in the freezer.

Then you'd need to cut a hole and have a fan that circulated air from the freezer to the fridge and control it by another temp controller keeping the probe for it in the refrigerator side.

Make sense?

That's not possible without some modification to the fridge itself and 2 temp controllers. Basically you'd need to seal of the fridge compartment from the freezer so it doesn't blow into the fridge when it's cooling the freezer. Hook the fridge wiring to the ranco and keep the temp probe for it in the freezer.

Then you'd need to cut a hole and have a fan that circulated air from the freezer to the fridge and control it by another temp controller keeping the probe for it in the refrigerator side.

Make sense?

Nope, but thats probably because I dont understand really how a fridge is constructed.

This is a full size fridge like in a kitchen not a dorm fridge. So maybe I am unfamiliar with how they work. The feezer is a stamped aluminum box above the fridge compartment. Is there not two compressors, one for fridge one for freezer. Based on your descripition it would seem there is a baffle and one compressor?

ok I just educated myself through wiki. I get it now.

According to wiki the true thermostat controls the freezer and the dial in the fridge controls the amount of air that travels from the cold freezer into the fridge.

So this brings up another question. If I hook up the Ranco can I cool the fridge to temps below 37 degrees, like say 29 if I want to "brighten" the beers up?

thanks for the help

Back