Wiring and Componet selection help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit2000

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I am at the stage in my build where I need to start thinking about ordering my selector switches. I am running HP propane burners, ((I know, "This is the electric section") I still need to control my gas brewery with electric switches).

Anyways, I need 2, three position switches (auto, off, man) for my 2 pumps. I am using 120v Chinese temp controllers, and Asco valves to control the gas to the burners. I will be using standing pilots for now. Also would like a main power on/off switch.

I am not good at electric stuff, thats why I'm here. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Here is a link to my build if interested-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-sclupture-not-created-equal-284910/

I really think you can get a lot out of reading this forum more, and going to Kal's site... none of what you are looking for is difficult to find here.

saying that, I suggest these switches for your pumps.

I would also get the same switches in a different color to manually override burners

I would highly suggest a contactor to control all power and gas signals leaving the panel, an illuminated start button to turn on the contactor, which then keeps itself turned on, until a twist-style e-stop button is pressed

-mike

I really think you can get a lot out of reading this forum more, and going to Kal's site... none of what you are looking for is difficult to find here.

saying that, I suggest these switches for your pumps.

I would also get the same switches in a different color to manually override burners

I would highly suggest a contactor to control all power and gas signals leaving the panel, an illuminated start button to turn on the contactor, which then keeps itself turned on, until a twist-style e-stop button is pressed

-mike

Thanks for the info. I have a Mechanical background, not Electrical, so I will have questions still i'm sure. I am reading Kal's site. Great info. Just a quick question. Should the switches that I get be normally open or normally closed. Not sure how that works on a 3 position selector switch.

Anyways thanks. I have a friend that will help me wire everything so I dont fry my brewery, or myself, I just want to get the right parts.

Thanks for the info. I have a Mechanical background, not Electrical, so I will have questions still i'm sure. I am reading Kal's site. Great info. Just a quick question. Should the switches that I get be normally open or normally closed. Not sure how that works on a 3 position selector switch. .

What switches you order depends on how you are wiring it up. For most generic uses you would order a Normally Open(NO) set of contacts. On a 3 position switch (also called a HOA) you mount one set of NO Contacts on each side. When the switch goes to position "A" one contact will close, in the "B" positions both are open, in the "C" position the other contact closes.

I'm gonna order the switches and other recommended parts in the next week.

Can anyone maybe sketch something that would help me understand the wiring up of the components?

So I have the parts. I need a diagram on how to wire it up. I will have a friend check it before I power it up, I just dont want to bug him to wire it all.

So...can any body help me with a sketch of how to do it?

Latest posts

Back