Wiped my mash tun with Lysol. Will it be okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-Known Member
Feb 23, 2010
Reaction score
New Jersey
I have a 10 gallon Igloo mash tun that I found had mold in it this morning (must have left it a little damp last brew day). I instinctively responded to the mold by spraying a rag with kitchen lysol and rubbing it down, before I realized it was a vessel I use to make "food" in. STUPID!:eek:

Anyway, I rinsed it off in cold water, and it's now soaking in hot water to warm up for the mashing I will do later today. It doesn't smell of Lysol. I didn't ruin it, did I?
K, it said on the label to only use lysol on surfaces like tile and kitchen counters, and not to use it on plastic or food. Since the smell is gone, I think I'm okay. I just needed a little reassurance.
You gave it a good rinse so you should be just fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Next time don't screw/close the lid completely on your cooler, I leave mine on the cooler, but setting at an angle so that a little air flow can happen to keep it dry.
i regularly clean mine out and spray it out with a bleach/water solution and store it open.