Winter Lager Clone with different yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgregoryirving

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a little less than a year and I don't yet have the capabilities of lagering, nor do I have the space for a temp controlled freezer/fridge. However, I found this recipe for a clone of Sam Adam's Winter Lager and was curious if anybody has made a lager recipe with a different yeast and how it turns out. I would love to try this and would love feedback.

Sam Adams Winter Lager clone
5 gallon, extract with grains; OG = 1.069 FG = 1.016 IBUs = 26 to 30

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. Briess wheat malt extract syrup
1.5 lbs. crystal malt (60° Lovibond)
1 lb. wheat malt
1.5 lbs. Munich malt (20° Lovibond)
1 teaspoon Irish moss
1 oz. Curacáo orange peel (bitter orange peel)
0.5 oz. ginger root (freshly grated)
0.5 tsp. cinnamon (powdered)
9.5 AAU East Kent Goldings (2 oz. of 4.75% alpha acid)
4.5 AAU Tettnanger (1 oz. of 4.5% alpha acid)
4.7 AAU Hallertau Hersbrucker (1 oz. of 4.7% alpha acid)
3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
German Lager yeast (White Labs WLP830) or Bavarian Lager yeast (Wyeast 2206)

Step by Step:

Steep the grains in 2.5 gallons of water at 150º F for 30 minutes. Strain out the grains, add the wheat malt syrup and return to a boil. When the wort begins boiling, add East Kent Golding hops, Irish moss, and boil for 60 minutes. Add spices for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Add Tettnanger and Hallertau hops for the last 2 minutes of the boil. Remove from heat and cool wort in ice bath or with wort chiller. Transfer to fermentation vessel (glass carboy). Add enough cold water to the wort to bring the volume up to 5.5 gallons. Pitch yeast and ferment at 50º to 55º F for 3 to 4 weeks. Prime, then bottle or keg. You should lager this beer for about 4 weeks prior to serving.

Back