Winter kills brew day, did it kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushin

Reaction score
So here's one for you. I'm going to go get more yeast today, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Saturday was brew day around Allentown, PA. Then the storm hit if flippin October, took out half the trees in my area and shut my power down for three days.

I had just popped my Wyeast about an hour before the power went. We lost heat and refridgeration. So my yeast sat out on my back porch at a balmy 30-40 degrees for a couple of days. The pack expanded a bit, but not fully. Think enough yeast survived to re-activate now that the heat is back on?

Oh and, HOW BOUT THEM CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeast don't die at low temps, they just "hybernate."

Once you get back to proper fermentation temps, you can just gently swirl your wort to resuspend the yeast, and they will get a whiff of the available sugars and come right out of hybernation to feed and reproduce!! Just gently swirl, don't do it briskly enough to introduce oxygen, and you'll be all good.

Back