Winter...In Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin4

Reaction score
We had a winter weather advisory. Ice, wind, cold. It shutdown the city of San Marcos for two hours. Offices all over Central Texas were shutdown for the entire day.

San-Marcos.jpg

So yeah... that's what a winter storm in my area of Texas looks like.

Winter in Texas sucks hockey pucks. Freezing in the morning and warm by lunch and you're carrying your jacket around.

I cant remember the last day here that actually looked that nice

havent seen a blue sky since '98. or at least feels that long.

wanna trade?

wanna trade?

I don't think the sun shines in Fargo... that's where dreams go to die.

:D

Was that picture taken after the plows came by?

What's a snow plow? Sounds dirty.

Winter in Texas sucks hockey pucks. Freezing in the morning and warm by lunch and you're carrying your jacket around.

I'm sweating through the multiple layers. It's gross.

wanna trade?

We just got past some rain. Otherwise, this is what Texas looks like. Usually super hot, but still amazingly beautiful. I love living here.

We just got past some rain. Otherwise, this is what Texas looks like. Usually super hot, but still amazingly beautiful. I love living here.

oddly i was born in Plano, but moved away when i was 3. so doesnt really count for me, but i do hear from many people its great there.

"layers"???? I'm assuming you're not from Texas? The concept of layering clothes is positively foreign to southerners in general.

He must mean the layer of underwear under his shorts?

His underwear probably don't even go down to his feet.

Southerners ;)

I have a snowboarding jacket I wear when it's in the 20's, which it was this morning, until 9. So now I'm stuck with this heavy coat, or just a flannel. The sun is warm, the air isn't, so I'm sweating. NorTex Probz.

Huh, I guess we missed the memo. Had to go to work and everything.

I even spent a little time working outside, in a t-shirt, when I clearly should've been at home, bracing myself for the blizzard with a beer in hand.

Seriously, Austin (the city) should be embarrassed...

Don't let him off the hook that easily. I'm sure Austin The Admin has plenty to be ashamed of....

It is supposed to be above freezing (38°F) for the first time in months, on Saturday, so I plan to be ouside all day, brewing.

What's a snow plow? Sounds dirty.

I'm sweating through the multiple layers. It's gross.

I did hear that you guys got some rain. Here, it was cold (in the 50s) with a brisk wind, but we did have sunshine. We didn't even go kayaking or fishing today due to the extreme cold. :p We had to be satisfied with a long walk along the beach.

I am really not thrilled about leaving S. Texas next weekend, that's for sure!

It is supposed to be above freezing (38°F) for the first time in months, on Saturday, so I plan to be ouside all day, brewing.

Same here! Might do my first double batch weekend due to the warm temps for the first time in forever. Haven't brewed since early January :(

Whenever it rains here, in Portland, after not for a week or more, people freak the f**k out and can't drive or think for s**t. That's a similar paradox to a drowning fish.

Sorry to threadjack #sorrynotsorry

"layers"???? I'm assuming you're not from Texas? The concept of layering clothes is positively foreign to southerners in general.

That's a joke right? My name is Austin.

Layers are natural for southerners. Who owns a coat down here? You pull it out for a week, it smells like mothballs and cedar.

I don't even know where mine is.

That's a joke right? My name is Austin.

Layers are natural for southerners. Who owns a coat down here? You pull it out for a week, it smells like mothballs and cedar.

I don't even know where mine is.

My relatives from Alabama, Phoenix, and Georgia are types to put a parka over a t-shirt when they come up north.

I wear weird 'layers' myself when I'm in Texas.

Yesterday was cold (50s), so I wore a long john shirt, and an old sweatshirt. Sometimes I wear that get-up with shorts and flip flops when it's warmer.

My relatives from Alabama, Phoenix, and Georgia are types to put a parka over a t-shirt when they come up north.

Why do they even own a parka?

I wear weird 'layers' myself when I'm in Texas.

Yesterday was cold (50s), so I wore a long john shirt, and an old sweatshirt. Sometimes I wear that get-up with shorts and flip flops when it's warmer.

Yesterday was cold so I was in an undershirt, long sleeve, t-shirt, hoodie, flannel, hat, pajama bottoms under my pants.

I don't own thermal underwear but I'm thinking of buying it. Next year...

I was at a conference in Dallas for beverage alcohol industry geeks and they cut us loose a couple hours short on Wednesday so we could escape the predicted snowmageddon. It was rainy and windy for sure, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Last edited:
It was so warm here 2 days ago (34°) I was out in just a sweat shirt & thinking of getting out the lawn furniture. It kept sinking in the snow so I gave up.

FIL and I traveled to VA to pick up a car to restore and it was like low 50's in the morning. The locals were amazed that we were wearing shorts and T-shirt, but for us that was like spring break! Had the air on for the ride back.

Back