Winter hit, I never cut the old vines back...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
Is this a bad thing? There are new vines starting just below the soil on all 3 of my plants, but I never cut back the old vines. Should I? I've searched but no luck.

Sean

Just cut them. At harvest, I like to leave 5-6 feet of bine so the roots can stock-up for the winter. I did mine yesterday.

I cut mine a few months ago. I'm not sure what to do. My logic was that the roots would get nutrients from the bines over the winter. they got dry and brittle near the end of last year and broke when you pulled on them. plus i'm lazy.

I leave mine on the trellis as well until the leaves fall off. That lets the leaves help to recharge the root system after the cones are harvested.

I cut mine a few months ago. I'm not sure what to do. My logic was that the roots would get nutrients from the bines over the winter. they got dry and brittle near the end of last year and broke when you pulled on them. plus i'm lazy.

Found this tidbit on Grow-Hops today. You were right - the roots will get nutrients if you leave the bines up until winter.

Think about it from the plant's point-of-view...it doesn't stop photosynthesizing after cone set. Studies have shown that bines allowed to stand instead of being removed for harvest can produce up to 30% more yield and alpha the following season. 6-8 more weeks of carbohydrate partitioning and storage for spring...

link to the grow-hops forum
Grow-Hops : Homebrewer's Garden: Hops/Barley/Herbs

I cut mine at ground level at harvest. You're fine right now but it makes a bigger mess with multi-seasons of bines growing around each other....;)

Back