Winemakers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jagaspo

Can't seem to find a consistent answer. Do we airlock the primary or just cover with towel. Some say airlock, some say yeast needs lots of O2.

You don't need to have an airlock but you do need to cover the primary to keep things out, usually those pesky little bugs such as cheese cloth. But it also needs to be porous to allow the gas to escape. You also have to keep an eye on it and ensure that you rack it off on time so that as the fermentation slows down no other unwanted bacteria gets in. I prefer to use a larger carboy then the volume I'm fermenting along with an airlock so I don't have to worry about leaving it longer and about anything getting in.

some say yeast needs lots of O2.

The amount of CO2 that the yeast belch out will make a blanket on top of the fermenting wine that will push the O2 up and out. So you don't get O2 from leaving the top open.

Yeast do need O2 to do their work, but that is O2 in the must before fermentation. If you use dried yeast, I've read that you don't need to worry about about oxygenating. If you add O2 during fermentation or afterwards, you run the risk of oxidizing your wine, which may lead the wine developing a stale flavor as it ages.

As for your initial question - I use an airlock, but in a pinch will use a sanitized piece of foil loosely wrapped around carboy's opening.

I mostly use a clean towel for active fruit primaries- mostly because I"m opening it up and punching down the cap several times a day. If I have a lot of fruitflies and things around I will instead put a lid and airlock on it.

After about five days, when fermentation slows down and the SG is 1.010 or less, I transfer to a carboy and airlock.

I have tried both but prefer to airlock. It just does a better job of keeping critters out. I've never had any problems with fermentation using an airlock but always press my fruit daily and push the cap down too.

Since you're making a red it's really your call. As to O2 ingress, the agitation from plunging will be plenty. You will definitely need to get some in as red ferments tend to get rather stinky otherwise and it's easier to get oxygen in now than to have to clean up with CuSO4 later. You have to work pretty hard to oxidise a fermenting wine and the yeast will utilise it and produce aldehydes which will actually remove bitter phenols later.

For the primary, I think it's just a matter of preference. No real wrong way to do it as long as it's covered to keep things out and prevent infection. I've done it both ways and both ways have yielded good results. Wines I make from frozen fruit concentrates, I just airlock it and let it runs it's course. No real NEED just cover with cloth/towel because i don't really need to open it up to punch a cap down or stir it. Just my .02. Then, of course, airlock the secondary and on from there.

You do need to cover the primary to keep out the obvious dust, gnats, bugs and such, but the yeast needs oxygen while fermenting as well.

If you make a 6 gallon batch of wine and ferment it in an 8 gallon fermenter, then you will have enough oxygen in it to be able to put a lid and airlock.

The yeast will create enough CO2 to create a vapor barrier to protect the must/wine early in the fermenting. As the fermentation slows down, that barrier becomes less and less and you need to cover it and put an airlock on it.

That said...I make 6 gallon batches, ferment in an 8 gallon fermentation bucket with a lid and an airlock, there is at least 3-4 inches of head space in the bucket, this is plenty of oxygen.

When fermentation is complete, I rack into a carboy that suits its volume to avoid head space, unless I am putting the wine through Malolactic fermentation, if MLF is on the agenda, I use a slightly larger carboy leaving room for any volcanos.
I've done it this way for years with no problems.

I always use a lid with an airlock. I suppose I could just put a towel or something over the bucket instead, but this way I know kids or the cat won't mess with it/fall in/drop things in it.

I just place my bucket lid loosely on top, with a clean cloth potholder covering the bung, because for the first few days I give it a good beating each day with a whisk to aerate until the yeast are going like gangbusters. It's a hassle to have to pry the lid off every day if I'm going to need access to the must every day, and placing it on loosely does just as good a job at keeping critters out, IMO.

Back